• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Violation of Protective Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

embee24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello, I am a 21 year old female who has recently been through hell with my ex boyfriend.

After a situation involving him beating me and me defending myself, I was put in jail. After I got out I got a protective order against him and he got one against me. During this time that I was in jail he had sent me messages on my facebook calling me everything in the book. I simply responded "God bless you but screw you". Upon getting on my facebook again later, I found all of his messages were deleted and the only remaining contact in the thread was my reply. (I lived with him before and he had my password, also he had my phone which automatically will log in) I was later arrested for "violating" the protective order when technically I was replying. I had a hearing for this incident and received TWO YEARS of unsupervised probation. While awaiting trial for that, another incident occured within 3 weeks.
He had placed a phone call to me which I missed from his house phone. When I saw the phone call I texted him and asked him not to contact me.
THIS is where I made yet another mistake. I was arrested for this message and in the time between that happening and me being arrested I had not gone to the police showing them where he had called me first. By the time I was arrested I no longer had the missed call stored in my phone.

I have a hearing for this 2nd violation (which occured before I got the 2years unsupervised probation) tuesday.
I want to know what is likely to happen, especially from anyone who has been in this situation or has practiced law. I feel he is gunning for me and I want nothing to do with him. I know it was a mistake to not tell on him for contacting me and he is taking advantage of that. Now I know better. While waiting for this trial he went to my boyfriend's house and damaged his car and was caught and arrested. It is CLEAR that he is harboring anger and I feel helpless because I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I have a public defender who I have called three times last week and has not called me back. I have no car, am 6 months pregnant, and the court house is 35 minutes from my house. I can not simply go up there anytime I want and ask them to talk to me.
Does anyone have experience with this, or advice?
I do not believe I deserve to go back to jail! for a text message that was non threatening, and in response to him.
I called my phone company and learned that missed calls are not logged, so I can not prove anything.
I am in a bad situation and very scared.
Please help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

After a situation involving him beating me and me defending myself, I was put in jail. After I got out I got a protective order against him and he got one against me. During this time that I was in jail he had sent me messages on my facebook calling me everything in the book. I simply responded "God bless you but screw you". ... I was later arrested for "violating" the protective order when technically I was replying. I had a hearing for this incident and received TWO YEARS of unsupervised probation. While awaiting trial for that, another incident occured within 3 weeks.

He had placed a phone call to me which I missed from his house phone. When I saw the phone call I texted him and asked him not to contact me.

THIS is where I made yet another mistake. I was arrested for this message and in the time between that happening and me being arrested I had not gone to the police showing them where he had called me first. By the time I was arrested I no longer had the missed call stored in my phone.

I have a hearing for this 2nd violation (which occured before I got the 2years unsupervised probation) tuesday.
I want to know what is likely to happen, especially from anyone who has been in this situation or has practiced law. I feel he is gunning for me and I want nothing to do with him. I know it was a mistake to not tell on him for contacting me and he is taking advantage of that. Now I know better. While waiting for this trial he went to my boyfriend's house and damaged his car and was caught and arrested. It is CLEAR that he is harboring anger and I feel helpless because I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I have a public defender who I have called three times last week and has not called me back. I have no car, am 6 months pregnant, and the court house is 35 minutes from my house. I can not simply go up there anytime I want and ask them to talk to me.
Does anyone have experience with this, or advice?
I do not believe I deserve to go back to jail! for a text message that was non threatening, and in response to him.
I called my phone company and learned that missed calls are not logged, so I can not prove anything.
I am in a bad situation and very scared.
Please help.
For a second violation of a protection order, you face a $2500 fine and/or up to one year in jail.

It is too bad that you do not have proof that your ex-boyfriend initiated the contact. Your public defender is going to have a hard time without this proof.

single317dad

I simply responded "God bless you but screw you"... When I saw the phone call I texted him and asked him not to contact me... Does anyone have experience with this, or advice?
Stop contacting him. Replying to his messages or phone calls constitutes contact. Stop it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Whether he contacted you or not, doesn't excuse you violating the protection order. Not at all. YOU seem to be the queen of bad decisions. Is this the same ex boyfriend that you stabbed?
What part of NO CONTACT do you not understand? You don't get to respond to him. You don't get to make excuses. You are ordered to have NO CONTACT. His breaking of the order (for which you have no proof) does not excuse your breaking of the order.

Keep it up and your ex boyfriend will get custody of the baby because you can't have custody if you are sitting in jail.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not if he's not the father - which h/x indicates he is not.
My apologies. I missed the part in her post where she miscarried. The one thing she MIGHT be able to do is get the case assigned to mental health court if her area has one.

Ladyback1

I say this in all seriousness: You need some professional psych help.
You have mentioned in past posts that you are bipolar. You may need a med check.

anearthw

As per her previous thread, the current pregnancy is with another man.

Please, speak to a mental health professional (as I advised before), in combination with legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">