• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roxtar69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
My mother was assaulted by her 16 year old grandson who she is the legal guardian of. She is being told now that if she does not take him back into the home,she will be arrested for abandonment. Is this true? How can a violent offender be allowed back into the home with the victim? Can we get a protection order to keep him out of the home?

Antigone*

My mother was assaulted by her 16 year old grandson who she is the legal guardian of. She is being told now that if she does not take him back into the home,she will be arrested for abandonment. Is this true? How can a violent offender be allowed back into the home with the victim? Can we get a protection order to keep him out of the home?
Who is telling her this? Why wasn't an order of protection granted after the assault? Was he arrested? Where are his parents?

sunny days

Did she call the police, and was he arrested for the assault? Also, based on your post I'm guessing she has custody of her grandson?

roxtar69

Abandonment.

Did she call the police, and was he arrested for the assault? Also, based on your post I'm guessing she has custody of her grandson?
Yes. He assaulted me as well in the incident. He was arrested,charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon(he attacked me with a hammer and a kitchen knife),breach of peace,domestic violence,and one other charge that i do not know. She has custody of him. He was arraigned and must appear in court Monday. He is currently staying with his mother in a motel. My mom has been told by his probation officer that I must be out of the home by Sunday and that she must let him back in.how can this be?

roxtar69

Who is telling her this? Why wasn't an order of protection granted after the assault? Was he arrested? Where are his parents?
His probation officer is telling her that she must put me out of the home and let him back in or be charged with abandonment.He was arrested and has been arraigned. The charges include two counts of assault with a deadly weapon as he attacked me with a hammer and a large kitchen knife after I stopped him from assaulting her.i do not know why a protection order was not granted,and he is currently staying in a motel with his mother until his court date on Monday.

sunny days

His probation officer is telling her that she must put me out of the home and let him back in or be charged with abandonment.He was arrested and has been arraigned. The charges include two counts of assault with a deadly weapon as he attacked me with a hammer and a large kitchen knife after I stopped him from assaulting her.i do not know why a protection order was not granted,and he is currently staying in a motel with his mother until his court date on Monday.
Did she request a temporary restraining order and have it denied? If she didn't specifically request an order then she should do that.

roxtar69

Abandonment

Did she request a temporary restraining order and have it denied? If she didn't specifically request an order then she should do that.
She did not out of fear of being charged with abandonment. I am going to court tomorrow morning to speak to the victim advocate to see what I can do.I am hoping that I will be able to place a protective order against him as he also assaulted me which is documented in the police report. He has a lengthy record of violence.The police have been to the home over 20 times this past year and removed him only to send him back after a few hours in the hospital. I am in fear for my mothers life as well as mine at this point.I don't understand how I must leave having done nothing but protect my mom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why did you not add this to your other thread? The child is a MINOR and the legal guardian is RESPONSIBLE for the minor for whom they are legal guardian. If she doesn't want to be responsible she should sign legal guardianship/custody over to your sister so she can take care of her child. But your MOTHER doesn't want to do that. She doesn't want to walk away -- YOU want her to do so.

roxtar69

Abandonment.

Why did you not add this to your other thread? The child is a MINOR and the legal guardian is RESPONSIBLE for the minor for whom they are legal guardian. If she doesn't want to be responsible she should sign legal guardianship/custody over to your sister so she can take care of her child. But your MOTHER doesn't want to do that. She doesn't want to walk away -- YOU want her to do so.[/QUOT

What are you talking about? I think I have been QUITE CLEAR in all of my posts of what the situation is. What makes you so smart that you have already concluded that my MOTHER does not want to give up guardianship? Well I got news for you pal, SHE DOES! And you bet your sweet you know what that I want her to. The only reason she is alive today is because I was here to save her. In addition to not answering my question, your tone is unacceptable. Your supposed to be a senior member? Are you not aware of your own guidelines of not typing in all caps? you don't know me, so don't shout at me. This is supposed to be an advice blog or whatever you call it? I have been losing sleep for three days over this and all I'm trying to do is protect MY LIFE AND MY MOTHERS. Thanks for nothing.

roxtar69

Abandonment

Why did you not add this to your other thread? The child is a MINOR and the legal guardian is RESPONSIBLE for the minor for whom they are legal guardian. If she doesn't want to be responsible she should sign legal guardianship/custody over to your sister so she can take care of her child. But your MOTHER doesn't want to do that. She doesn't want to walk away -- YOU want her to do so.[/QUOT

What are you talking about? I think I have been QUITE CLEAR in all of my posts of what the situation is. What makes you so smart that you have already concluded that my MOTHER does not want to give up guardianship? Well I got news for you pal, SHE DOES! And you bet your sweet you know what that I want her to. The only reason she is alive today is because I was here to save her. In addition to not answering my question, your tone is unacceptable. Your supposed to be a senior member? Are you not aware of your own guidelines of not typing in all caps? you don't know me, so don't shout at me. This is supposed to be an advice blog or whatever you call it? I have been losing sleep for three days over this and all I'm trying to do is protect MY LIFE AND MY MOTHERS. Thanks for nothing.
And just for your information, his mother is a three time convicted prostitute who still practices her "profession" with the new addition of illegally selling prescription drugs. So I guess as far as your concerned, handing him over to her would be just fine. In addition, you seem to forget the fact that I AM A VICTIM here also,and have rights as such. You are not talking to some kid her O.K. please....

OHRoadwarrior

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/jud/rpt/2003-R-0564.htm

I suggest you review CT law regarding this issue, from a government site. I suggest the easiest thing for the guardian to do is have the child committed to a psychiatric facility. The CT gov't has effectively created a law washing their hands of long term care for someones screwed up kid and kicking it back to their parent/guardian.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And just for your information, his mother is a three time convicted prostitute who still practices her "profession" with the new addition of illegally selling prescription drugs. So I guess as far as your concerned, handing him over to her would be just fine. In addition, you seem to forget the fact that I AM A VICTIM here also,and have rights as such. You are not talking to some kid her O.K. please....
Apparently I am talking to a histrionic individual who cannot spell properly or use correct grammar. But whatever. I asked why you didn't put this with your other thread so that it would be easier on the volunteers. Oh well. Go hire counsel since you have "RIGHTS" because you are a VICTIM. :rolleyes:

roxtar69

Abandonment

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/jud/rpt/2003-R-0564.htm

I suggest you review CT law regarding this issue, from a government site. I suggest the easiest thing for the guardian to do is have the child committed to a psychiatric facility. The CT gov't has effectively created a law washing their hands of long term care for someones screwed up kid and kicking it back to their parent/guardian.
Thank you for the advice. After talking things over with my mom, committal to a psychiatric facility is the avenue that we are going to pursue. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">