+ Reply to Thread
    rahul123 is offline Junior Member

abuse/mental torture by in laws..

My sister (currently living in CA) is facing severe mental harrasment from her in laws. Previously they (in laws) used to be in another country. So that time it was somewhat manageable to her. But since they move to US on 2007, she is going through a very bad time as her in laws always tries to put her into false position and use her husband to scold her. It seems to us that if they stay with my sister than she might end up as a psychiatric patient soon as she can not protest to someone's wrong behavior.

Can you please advise what she can do in this situation based on US Civil Domestic Violence laws in US (CA). She is not interested for a divorce as she has got two childs. But also she is finding it extremely difficult to stay together with her in-laws. And the problem is that her husband always take side of his parents whenever there is an issue without judgement.

additional info: My sister is a US citizen but her in laws are currently green card holder/US permanent residents.
    eerelations is offline Senior Member
    Being scolded by one's husband on the direction of said husband's parents does not fall under the legal definition of "domestic violence" in the US. It is not considered to be "mental torture" (which doesn't have a legal definition as far as I know) either.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by rahul123 View Post
    My sister (currently living in CA) is facing severe mental harrasment from her in laws. Previously they (in laws) used to be in another country. So that time it was somewhat manageable to her. But since they move to US on 2007, she is going through a very bad time as her in laws always tries to put her into false position and use her husband to scold her. It seems to us that if they stay with my sister than she might end up as a psychiatric patient soon as she can not protest to someone's wrong behavior.

Can you please advise what she can do in this situation based on US Civil Domestic Violence laws in US (CA). She is not interested for a divorce as she has got two childs. But also she is finding it extremely difficult to stay together with her in-laws. And the problem is that her husband always take side of his parents whenever there is an issue without judgement.

additional info: My sister is a US citizen but her in laws are currently green card holder/US permanent residents.

Sister is free to leave if she feels harassed. She might consider divorce if her husband isn't everything she needs him to be.
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rahul123 View Post
    Previously they (in laws) used to be in another country.
    They need to conform to the norms of this country.

If they are actually hurting her, she should go to a women's shelter, ideally one who has experience in intercultural issues.