• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse through the legal system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RebS3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Does anyone have any feedback/advice on what I can do to battle an abusive ex-partner who is trying to spend me into submission? We are on our 3rd legal battle and he has forced me to spend tens of thousands of dollars fighting for what is mine. We were not married and did not have any type of cohabitation agreement, but case law supports implied agreements between cohabitants. My current attorney is tired of the case and just wants out. He is pressuring me to settle for an amount that would barely cover my legal expenses, but he's afraid the judge won't reimburse my attorney's fees, even though it is a contract case and I am entitled to ask for them. At this point I don't know what to do because my parents, who have been taking out of their retirement to fund this, are out of money. My friend set up a fundraising campaign, but that has been unsuccessful thus far. Needless to say, I am running out of options and have lost hope that justice will ever be served. And he will get away with abusing me one last time. It's unfortunate that the legal system really does favor those with the most money.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

LdiJ

Does anyone have any feedback/advice on what I can do to battle an abusive ex-partner who is trying to spend me into submission? We are on our 3rd legal battle and he has forced me to spend tens of thousands of dollars fighting for what is mine. We were not married and did not have any type of cohabitation agreement, but case law supports implied agreements between cohabitants. My current attorney is tired of the case and just wants out. He is pressuring me to settle for an amount that would barely cover my legal expenses, but he's afraid the judge won't reimburse my attorney's fees, even though it is a contract case and I am entitled to ask for them. At this point I don't know what to do because my parents, who have been taking out of their retirement to fund this, are out of money. My friend set up a fundraising campaign, but that has been unsuccessful thus far. Needless to say, I am running out of options and have lost hope that justice will ever be served. And he will get away with abusing me one last time. It's unfortunate that the legal system really does favor those with the most money.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
About the only thing that I can think of at this point, is to take everything and pay for an hour of another attorney's time on consultation basis to see what that attorney thinks. You realistically cannot provide enough information on an internet forum to get a truly informed opinion.

Just Blue

You have posted no real information for us to advise you.

OHRoadwarrior

You really gave approval to a crowd funding of your mistakes? That is as bad as the guy who walked to work for decades getting a new Ford and $300k in crowd funding. Perhaps I should sign up as totally disabled and fighting for SSDI with a kid in college and one more on the way. We really need more information on what this battle is over. It seems you are fighting for household items that were more joint than personal.

Last edited:

Pinkie39

You really gave approval to a crowd funding of your mistakes? That is as bad as the guy who walked to work for decades getting a new Ford and $300k in crowd funding. Perhaps I should sign up as totally disabled and fighting for SSDI with a kid in college and one more on the way. We really need more information on what this battle is over. It seems you are fighting for household items that were more joint than personal.
I'd a thousand times rather see money go to that man than to people like the Kardashians, who have never worked a day in their lives, to make them even wealthier.

Believe it or not, some people work their whole lives but still can't afford to buy a car.

Last edited:

davew128

I'd a thousand times rather see money go to that man than to people like the Kardashians, who have never worked a day in their lives, to making them even wealthier.
Please. Kim works REALLY hard. I saw the video. She did most of the work...:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">