• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuser is Pressuring me to Drop Criminal Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yrespy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Background Info: In August, I obtained a TRO against my then boyfriend of 7 months, for smacking me in the face and restraining me. The TRO was dropped a few days after the incident. This was not the first abusive indcident that occured in our relationship, though it was the first that was reported to the authorities. The abuser is 21 years old. I am 17 years old, and expecting his child in November. The abuser was charged with assault, but released on his own recognizance. He had no criminal record prior to this incident.

The Situation: A few weeks ago, the abuser called me and notified me that he had received a letter from the court, stating he had a warrant for his arrest and a $1500 fine imposed on him. He pressured me to go to court and drop the charges, but I refused to. He refuses to turn himself in, or pay the fine. He was so desperate to get the criminal charges dropped that he went to court HIMSELF and asked for a hearing date for the both of us, without my consent. (Can you believe this guy?) However, I still do NOT wish to drop the criminal charges. I was not even notified of this so-called court date by anyone except him.

In the event that I do have to testify against him, how would I go about it exactly? I do not have proof of the abuse (he left no marks), and I have no witnesses. I cannot afford a lawyer, and it is too late for me to obtain publicly-funded legal representation. (The hearing is this Tuesday.) He even said to me himself, "If you don't drop the charges, Im going to plead 'not guilty' anyway when we're in court." I fear that if he does this, the court will just let him go and drop the charges, especially with the lack of evidence on my part. Is this even possible, after he already has a warrant and a fine imposed on him? What will happen to him?

I dont want to be involved in this mess anymore. I am concerned with the well-being of my soon-to-be-born child, and the abuser is not recognizing the severity of his actions.

Someone - please help?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure what it is you're actually asking. When it goes to court, you'll be called as a witness and then you simply answer the questions asked of you.

Stop taking his calls, change your number - move if you must. But at the end of the day, the STATE is the one charging him, not you. It's out of your hands at this point, so stand firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">