• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Across State Lines - Family offense petition in NY for a NYS resident vs. Ex in CT.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

premed9999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I would like to ask how I can present my case to my county family court in NY so they are satisfied that they have jurisdiction. My ex-girlfriend got a restraining order against me in CT. This was after she already had a no contact order through our university, which she often broke. Now back in NY after graduating (I am a NYS resident) she contacted me via text and put my future on the line. I am alleging aggravated harassment in the second degree (something I believe I can make a case for) - what about geographical and personal jurisdiction though? She texted me so the contact was directed into NYS. She has talked to me many times when I have been in NY and her grandmother lives in NY. We were in an intimate dating relationship and it would be hard for me to go and make my case in NY. How do I present this to the family court in NY?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I would like to ask how I can present my case to my county family court in NY so they are satisfied that they have jurisdiction. My ex-girlfriend got a restraining order against me in CT. This was after she already had a no contact order through our university, which she often broke. Now back in NY after graduating (I am a NYS resident) she contacted me via text and put my future on the line. I am alleging aggravated harassment in the second degree (something I believe I can make a case for) - what about geographical and personal jurisdiction though? She texted me so the contact was directed into NYS. She has talked to me many times when I have been in NY and her grandmother lives in NY. We were in an intimate dating relationship and it would be hard for me to go and make my case in NY. How do I present this to the family court in NY?
Is SHE in New York as well as you? If not, I don't see how NY could have jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">