• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

afraid and unsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momshurting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
my husband had an argument with my son, his step-son, he threatened my son and my son threatened him back. Then my husband then told my son to get out of the house that if he comes back in the house he would punch him in the face. My husband is 6'4" 300+ lbs very intimidating, he is also a police officer. my son is 21yrs old is in college and i still collect child support for him from his bio father. Can my husband legally throw my son out of the house where he has resided for the past 10yrs.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
my husband had an argument with my son, his step-son, he threatened my son and my son threatened him back. Then my husband then told my son to get out of the house that if he comes back in the house he would punch him in the face. My husband is 6'4" 300+ lbs very intimidating, he is also a police officer. my son is 21yrs old is in college and i still collect child support for him from his bio father. Can my husband legally throw my son out of the house where he has resided for the past 10yrs.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am not condoning your husband's alleged violent temper but your son is 21 and perfectly capable of leaving home.

Legally, your husband cannot toss him out. He'd have to evict him, but is that something you really want to get into with your husband. If you are so concerned over your son's living arrangements, you could get a place with or for him.

momshurting

my son is still in college and cannot afford to live on his own yet. i cannot afford to pay for the mortgage and bills at my house and pay for an apt for my son in N.Y also the child support that i get for him contributes to our monthly bills, so he does pay to stay there technically. i want my son to concentrate on his education and not have to worry about getting a full time job or two to pay for a place to stay when he has a place. now once he finishes under grad and want to do grad school then that will be a different story.
"If you are so concerned over your son's living arrangements, you could get a place with or for him"
and about the comment you made in quoatations above, i am his mother and will always be concerned about my sons well being ie; living arrangements, etc. dont mean to sound rude but that hit a nerve, because only a real parent can understand unconditional love. you must be a stepfather/mother or just lonely. thank you for the legal aspect of your answer.

CourtClerk

my son is still in college and cannot afford to live on his own yet.
Then he needs to watch his mouth and don't bite the hand that literally feeds him.

Really... there are millions of kids who work and go to college. He needs to be one of them. If he can't afford school, then he needs to quit until he can afford it. And before you ask, yes, I am a mother, and yes, I've already raised a big one. And yes, when his mouth got ahead of him, I put his behind out too.

Antigone*

my son is still in college and cannot afford to live on his own yet. i cannot afford to pay for the mortgage and bills at my house and pay for an apt for my son in N.Y also the child support that i get for him contributes to our monthly bills, so he does pay to stay there technically. i want my son to concentrate on his education and not have to worry about getting a full time job or two to pay for a place to stay when he has a place. now once he finishes under grad and want to do grad school then that will be a different story.
"If you are so concerned over your son's living arrangements, you could get a place with or for him"
and about the comment you made in quoatations above, i am his mother and will always be concerned about my sons well being ie; living arrangements, etc. dont mean to sound rude but that hit a nerve, because only a real parent can understand unconditional love. you must be a stepfather/mother or just lonely. thank you for the legal aspect of your answer.
Yes, you are his mother and if you want to shelter sonny boy then go right ahead, but step dad is certainly not obligated to do so.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, the truth hurts.:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, he can't just throw him out, legally speaking.

But, you REALLY need to look at the reality of the situation here...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">