• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another domestic violence case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerD

I'm stunned.

Most of the time, it is the guy who goes to jail. You have good police there. That said, she hasn't, stabbed, shot, or hurt you yet. Clearly, since she has scratched you this time, it is escalating. I'll tell you from my experience that it will continue to escalate. Then you are going to defend yourself and you will go to jail too.

I've had a lot of arguments with my wife. Never had one so bad that the neighbors called the police or one of us was bleeding. That isn't normal. It isn't right.

Good luck.

TD

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm stunned.

Most of the time, it is the guy who goes to jail. You have good police there. That said, she hasn't, stabbed, shot, or hurt you yet. Clearly, since she has scratched you this time, it is escalating. I'll tell you from my experience that it will continue to escalate. Then you are going to defend yourself and you will go to jail too.

I've had a lot of arguments with my wife. Never had one so bad that the neighbors called the police or one of us was bleeding. That isn't normal. It isn't right.

Good luck.

TD
This is an excellent post.
The only thing missing is wonderment at the language that the judge used.

Mass_Shyster

Based on my ten seconds of internet research, "The adverse spousal privilege allows the spouse of a criminal defendant to either testify or refuse to testify against the defendant if the parties are married at the time of the trial" See State v. Christian, 267 Conn. 710, 729 (2004).

So if you refuse to testify against your wife, there's a possibility that the government will be compelled to dismiss the case.

Spend a couple thousand dollars and hire a lawyer for your wife and let the lawyer walk you through the process.

rawdata

I'm stunned.

Good luck.

TD
With all due respect this has nothing to do with my question. And btw, I wasn't bleeding.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With all due respect this has nothing to do with my question. And btw, I wasn't bleeding.
It has everything to do with your matter. And...you were scratched. That means blood came to the surface.

Why would you want to hang around in an abusive relationship such as this? You really need to get yourself in to counseling.

rawdata

Based on my ten seconds of internet research, "The adverse spousal privilege allows the spouse of a criminal defendant to either testify or refuse to testify against the defendant if the parties are married at the time of the trial" See State v. Christian, 267 Conn. 710, 729 (2004).

So if you refuse to testify against your wife, there's a possibility that the government will be compelled to dismiss the case.

Spend a couple thousand dollars and hire a lawyer for your wife and let the lawyer walk you through the process.
As far as I understand in order to testify/not testify I'll have to go to trial? Also, it doesn't seem like anybody is concerned with my point of view at the moment, I was only able to talk to the victim's advocate and that's it, it seems to me that state doesn't care if I exist at all, they just need somebody to convince.

rawdata

It has everything to do with your matter. And...you were scratched. That means blood came to the surface.

Why would you want to hang around in an abusive relationship such as this? You really need to get yourself in to counseling.
Following this logic I have to testify against my wife, make her serve jail time, get a divorce and find another wife? I'm not here to get this kind of advice, I'm here to hear the stories of other people, and please, don't tell me what I'm doing right or wrong, I know we need improvement in our relationship but I also know that my wife doesn't deserve going to jail. She has helped more people than you can imagine, and the fact I had a scratch on my face doesn't make her a felon.

Proserpina

Following this logic I have to testify against my wife, make her serve jail time, get a divorce and find another wife? I'm not here to get this kind of advice, I'm here to hear the stories of other people, and please, don't tell me what I'm doing right or wrong, I know we need improvement in our relationship but I also know that my wife doesn't deserve going to jail. She has helped more people than you can imagine, and the fact I had a scratch on my face doesn't make her a felon.
You're in the wrong place. This is not a support board.

Silverplum

As far as I understand in order to testify/not testify I'll have to go to trial? Also, it doesn't seem like anybody is concerned with my point of view at the moment, I was only able to talk to the victim's advocate and that's it, it seems to me that state doesn't care if I exist at all, they just need somebody to convince.
No, the state is not concerned about your forgiving point of view. Neither do they listen when Momma swears her boy didn't kill those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">