• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taffykat

Florida

Recently I had family in from out of town unfortunately there was a physical altercation where I was mildly assaulted by my senior citizen father. this happened in his vehicle after we had been out. as we arrived at my house I was furious at his behavior wanted him out of my house and have been told that I struck him. part of the problem was that I had been drinking and lost my temper but I do not remember hitting him. he left and went back to his state and now my sister wants to file charges against me. I have no criminal record of any kind, unfortunately had too much to drink and when that happens and someone becomes aggressive with me I return the favor. I have never done anything like this before as far as what they "say" I did. My daughter says that she saw me raise my hand but didn't see me hit him. given his age any slight anything would appear worse than it is. first I heard he was swollen then I heard he was bloody and I think my sister is just over exaggerating. My daughter is still upset about seeing him slap me and "pull my leg". I plan to never have a drop of hard liquor again as apparently it is no good for me. I do know myself however and if someone assaulted me, I would tend to want to strike back. My question is can they file charges from a different state after the fact? It is primarily he said she said. my niece and my daughter were there for part of it but both have different perspectives on what happened. my daughter will say he started it but my niece would say I finished it after the fact.

Antigone*

Florida

Recently I had family in from out of town unfortunately there was a physical altercation where I was mildly assaulted by my senior citizen father. this happened in his vehicle after we had been out. as we arrived at my house I was furious at his behavior wanted him out of my house and have been told that I struck him. part of the problem was that I had been drinking and lost my temper but I do not remember hitting him. he left and went back to his state and now my sister wants to file charges against me. I have no criminal record of any kind, unfortunately had too much to drink and when that happens and someone becomes aggressive with me I return the favor. I have never done anything like this before as far as what they "say" I did. My daughter says that she saw me raise my hand but didn't see me hit him. given his age any slight anything would appear worse than it is. first I heard he was swollen then I heard he was bloody and I think my sister is just over exaggerating. My daughter is still upset about seeing him slap me and "pull my leg". I plan to never have a drop of hard liquor again as apparently it is no good for me. I do know myself however and if someone assaulted me, I would tend to want to strike back. My question is can they file charges from a different state after the fact? It is primarily he said she said. my niece and my daughter were there for part of it but both have different perspectives on what happened. my daughter will say he started it but my niece would say I finished it after the fact.
Your father can certainly phone in a report from his location. If the police do show up or call you ~ lawyer up:cool:

st-kitts

Florida

Recently I had family in from out of town unfortunately there was a physical altercation where I was mildly assaulted by my senior citizen father. this happened in his vehicle after we had been out. as we arrived at my house I was furious at his behavior wanted him out of my house and have been told that I struck him. .
It appears you committed some form of battery.
Floridapart of the problem was that I had been drinking and lost my temper but I do not remember hitting him. he left and went back to his state and now my sister wants to file charges against me. .
If he files a police report, it will be up to the DA to press charges. As time lapses, the likelihood decreases. A police report filed after the fact is not likely to have the same impact as if the police had come to the scene and made a report.
Florida I have no criminal record of any kind, unfortunately had too much to drink and when that happens and someone becomes aggressive with me I return the favor. I have never done anything like this before as far as what they "say" I did. My daughter says that she saw me raise my hand but didn't see me hit him. .
If you have never done this before, why do you say that you return the favor when faced with aggressive behavior? Walking away has much lower odds of say, incarceration.

given his age any slight anything would appear worse than it is. first I heard he was swollen then I heard he was bloody and I think my sister is just over exaggerating. My daughter is still upset about seeing him slap me and "pull my leg". .
So you allegedly struck your senior citizen father hard enough to leave noticeable injuries.

I plan to never have a drop of hard liquor again as apparently it is no good for me. I do know myself however and if someone assaulted me, I would tend to want to strike back. .
AA might be a good place to seek treatment.

My question is can they file charges from a different state after the fact? It is primarily he said she said. my niece and my daughter were there for part of it but both have different perspectives on what happened. my daughter will say he started it but my niece would say I finished it after the fact.

Anyone can file a police report. Whether the issue is pursued by the DA is a totally different matter. As stated earlier, if police contact you, get a lawyer.

Gracie3787

I have no criminal record of any kind, unfortunately had too much to drink and when that happens and someone becomes aggressive with me I return the favor.
I plan to never have a drop of hard liquor again as apparently it is no good for me.
You're taking a good first step by not drinking anymore.
However, your attitude indicates that you will also benefit from some counseling/anger management to learn how to not "return the favor" when someone becomes aggressive with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">