• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault with a Deadly Weapon/No contact order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terri72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My question involves criminal law for British Columbia, Canada.

Hi there, regardless of where you live, please tell me the law for that area, it will just at least give me an idea as to what to do.

My husband was incorrectly diagnosed as bipolar, he started smoking marijuana (I wasn't happy about that) in huge amounts, never even tried it before, at any rate, he became very paranoid, conspiracy theories, verbally abusive after about 3 months, the psychologist thought the pot brought out BP disorder later we found out it was pot psychosis, this is gone now and he is back to normal so to speak, but this is what happened:

He was so verbally abusive and threatening for a few months that I called the police a few times just for advice and also saw a psychologist, they said it sounds like he needs to be checked for mental health issues, the only way that could be forcibly done is by calling 911 next time he is threatening (and make it good said the Psych) that they will take him to the hospital and see if he can get admitted to the mental health unit and perhaps go on an antidepressant or w/e. It took months for me to get the nerve to do this, I called after he was holding a knife (just cutting up vegetables) but in an argument he turned to me and said "I could cut your head off for what you just said", I did not feel threatened, but I used that as the reason to finally call and get him help.

The mental health part of the hospital said he was fine after 10 minutes and some blood tests and the police then charged him with "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" and we have a "no contact order". I felt so let down by the legal system and the advice I got. My husband is back to normal, yes he is back with me although he would be in huge trouble if they found out. I have sent a letter to "Crown Counsel" stating that this was to get him some mental help and not for criminal charges, I never felt threatened etc..." Well...it is going to trial now, he also has a student lawyer who just said snarkely...just plead guilty. He is still going thru immigration status at this time (eastern EU), he will not plead guilty, and I want charges dropped or a deal or w/e.

Do you have any advice at how to proceed? I can't tell Crown Counsel or his lawyer anything as they can not know we are in contact. His lawyer has not even tried to make a deal with Crown Counsel. Cr. Counsel told me that typically the person pleads not guilty and before it hits the trial, his lawyer would try to make a deal so that it doesn;t make it to trial.

Also, he is completely back to normal (I can't tell anyone that) it was pot psychosis he had, he is very anti drug now, gets blood tests etc... we have to proceed very carefully due to Immigration also. Such a mess.

If I change my statement at all can I be charged? I do not mean to lie, but just to be honest and say what my true objective was, and with the stress I went thru I can't remember a lot of it either, only what my statement reads.

Thank you for your time,

Skye

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My question involves criminal law for British Columbia, Canada.

Hi there, regardless of where you live, please tell me the law for that area, it will just at least give me an idea as to what to do.

My husband was incorrectly diagnosed as bipolar, he started smoking marijuana (I wasn't happy about that) in huge amounts, never even tried it before, at any rate, he became very paranoid, conspiracy theories, verbally abusive after about 3 months, the psychologist thought the pot brought out BP disorder later we found out it was pot psychosis, this is gone now and he is back to normal so to speak, but this is what happened:

He was so verbally abusive and threatening for a few months that I called the police a few times just for advice and also saw a psychologist, they said it sounds like he needs to be checked for mental health issues, the only way that could be forcibly done is by calling 911 next time he is threatening (and make it good said the Psych) that they will take him to the hospital and see if he can get admitted to the mental health unit and perhaps go on an antidepressant or w/e. It took months for me to get the nerve to do this, I called after he was holding a knife (just cutting up vegetables) but in an argument he turned to me and said "I could cut your head off for what you just said", I did not feel threatened, but I used that as the reason to finally call and get him help.

The mental health part of the hospital said he was fine after 10 minutes and some blood tests and the police then charged him with "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" and we have a "no contact order". I felt so let down by the legal system and the advice I got. My husband is back to normal, yes he is back with me although he would be in huge trouble if they found out. I have sent a letter to "Crown Counsel" stating that this was to get him some mental help and not for criminal charges, I never felt threatened etc..." Well...it is going to trial now, he also has a student lawyer who just said snarkely...just plead guilty. He is still going thru immigration status at this time (eastern EU), he will not plead guilty, and I want charges dropped or a deal or w/e.

Do you have any advice at how to proceed? I can't tell Crown Counsel or his lawyer anything as they can not know we are in contact. His lawyer has not even tried to make a deal with Crown Counsel. Cr. Counsel told me that typically the person pleads not guilty and before it hits the trial, his lawyer would try to make a deal so that it doesn;t make it to trial.

Also, he is completely back to normal (I can't tell anyone that) it was pot psychosis he had, he is very anti drug now, gets blood tests etc... we have to proceed very carefully due to Immigration also. Such a mess.

If I change my statement at all can I be charged? I do not mean to lie, but just to be honest and say what my true objective was, and with the stress I went thru I can't remember a lot of it either, only what my statement reads.

Thank you for your time,

Skye
This involves British Columbia which is another country. This is an United States law site. BC is NOT part of the US.

davew128

This involves British Columbia which is another country. This is an United States law site. BC is NOT part of the US.
and given how the people of Vancouver reacted when an American team won Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Finals ON THEIR ICE, we would prefer it remained that way. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">