• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksjane

What is the name of your state? TX

Wasn't quite sure where to put this. Does anyone know where I would find documentation on what the legal age of babysitting is? Or, at what age a child can be left alone? In TEXAS.
Thanks,
Jane

Just Blue

Actually, it pertains to abuse. Do you actually have any helpful information?
Thanks,
Jane
There is no real Documentation for your questions....It depends on the situation...it may be okay to leave a MATURE and competent 11 year old home for a few hours but not for a weekend. A 13 yo could babysit for an evening but again I wouldn't leave him/her in charge for an overnight. So if you want more definitive answers you need to give more information.

The link was to your threads...I though more information may be gleaned by looking at your past threads...

https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1491864

ksjane

There is no real Documentation for your questions....It depends on the situation...it may be okay to leave a MATURE and competent 11 year old home for a few hours but not for a weekend. A 13 yo could babysit for an evening but again I wouldn't leave him/her in charge for an overnight. So if you want more definitive answers you need to give more information.

The link was to your threads...I though more information may be gleaned by looking at your past threads...

https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1491864
The documentation that I am referring to would be legal statutes, laws. I have found them for other states, just can not find them for Texas (although there is quite a bit more to read through). In some states it is (documented) against the law for children under the age of [varies in different states] to babysit. In some states it is (documented) against the law to leave children under the age of [varies in different states] left unattented. So there is documentation as far as "laws" go, which is what I am inquiring about. Again, I am having trouble locating them for Texas. Although some states do not even have regulated ages, it is up to the parents. This is what I am trying to find. Anyone?

Some examples would be:
Can an 11 year old be left to care for multiple children under the age of 8, we'll say from 9:00am - 3:00pm? Legally?
Can a 6 year old be left home alone for hours (sometimes most of the day) by themselves? Legally?
Can a 4 year old be left in the care of an 8 year old? Even if for a few hours?

As far as my past threads, could you be a little more specific, since you brought it up? Although there are quite a few of them and some quite old (and I did not go through ALL of them - as it wasn't necessary), I am not seeing ANYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with legal age limits pertaining to Texas. Again, could you be more specific, as both the links you have provided do not work. Thanks
Jane

Just Blue

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/About_Child_Protective_Services/faqchildalone.asp

As I said there are no "laws" or "statutes" in Texas for an age to leave children unsupervised. But some of the examples you provided would be considered neglect. You should contact CPS and file a report.

Can an 11 year old be left to care for multiple children under the age of 8, we'll say from 9:00am - 3:00pm? Legally?
Can a 6 year old be left home alone for hours (sometimes most of the day) by themselves? Legally?
Can a 4 year old be left in the care of an 8 year old? Even if for a few hours?
Regarding your previous threads...As I said, I thought it might clarify your initial post on this thread...This is not the case so forget about it.

ksjane

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/About_Child_Protective_Services/faqchildalone.asp

As I said there are no "laws" or "statutes" in Texas for an age to leave children unsupervised. But some of the examples you provided would be considered neglect. You should contact CPS and file a report.

Regarding your previous threads...As I said, I thought it might clarify your initial post on this thread...This is not the case so forget about it.
Aaah, very useful website. Thank you.
A coworker claims to have knowledge of a 6 and 7 year old being left home alone while parent is gone. I recommended she file a report, she claims she did and they told her there was nothing they could do. I figured she hadn't tried because she said someone else told her there was nothing they could do. I thought if I could show her, she would try.

Still confused as to the previous threads, however, even in the initial post without much info, still wondering what would be there pertaining to this, and why previous remark would suggest I would "quick like a bunny delete".
Oh well, not sure I understand the reasoning for half of the posters on forums, lots of irrelevant comments. Anyway, again, thanks for your help.
Jane

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">