• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being charged with a Domestic Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seekinhelp

I'm being charged with a 273.5 (a) and a PC 243(D) even though I was the victim my spouse was sloppy drunk and passed out in front of the doorway I tap him to get up and when he got up he just beating me and dragging me by my hair I thought I'm going to die I used a weapon and now I'm looking at time I have photos showing he beated (not the first time but in court it is)my but my public defender has not brought it to the courts attention he told me to hold them and now I'm looking at two years in prison and if I don't accept what their trying to give me I can take it to trial if I do can I be facing more time then what they are already trying to give me I've been beaten for over 7 yrs this is the first time I actually fought back in fear he was going to kill me I'm only 20 yrs old and I don't really have anyone to speak to.:confused:

Antigone*

I'm being charged with a 273.5 (a) and a PC 243(D) even though I was the victim my spouse was sloppy drunk and passed out in front of the doorway I tap him to get up and when he got up he just beating me and dragging me by my hair I thought I'm going to die I used a weapon and now I'm looking at time I have photos showing he beated (not the first time but in court it is)my but my public defender has not brought it to the courts attention he told me to hold them and now I'm looking at two years in prison and if I don't accept what their trying to give me I can take it to trial if I do can I be facing more time then what they are already trying to give me I've been beaten for over 7 yrs this is the first time I actually fought back in fear he was going to kill me I'm only 20 yrs old and I don't really have anyone to speak to.:confused:
So this guy has been beating you since you were 13? Something seems very wrong here.:confused:

Hot Topic

Your husband got so drunk that he passed out, yet after you "tapped" him, he got up and started beating you. Nobody, but nobody is going to believe that.

You're 20, and you want us to believe that the marital abuse has been going on for seven years, which means you got married at age 13.

Some people would say that you're just confused. I say, get ready for some drastic changes in your life.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Like I said, something very wrong here. I really hate to call troll but there is so much no right here that I'm really tempted.
However, on the off chance that OP is real, my advice would be:

1. Call your abuse shelter to see if they can help.

2. If the public defender isn't doing a good job, you're always free to hire an attorney. If I was facing 2 years in prison, I'd sure as heck find the money to get a good one.

But, I agree, the story doesn't really add up. Why would the police have charged her if the guy was sloppy drunk and she was the one with bruises?

Banned_Princess

However, on the off chance that OP is real, my advice would be:

1. Call your abuse shelter to see if they can help.

2. If the public defender isn't doing a good job, you're always free to hire an attorney. If I was facing 2 years in prison, I'd sure as heck find the money to get a good one.

But, I agree, the story doesn't really add up. Why would the police have charged her if the guy was sloppy drunk and she was the one with bruises?
Because she was the one holding the knife.

seekinhelp

Some of you people need to grow up I came here to ask for legal advice and this is how some of you act by making jokes.

Hot Topic

I notice that you didn't answer some of the questions your post raised, such as your husband being down and "sloppy" drunk one minute, then getting up immediately after you "tapped" him to start beating you.

I notice that you didn't respond to the question about your age. According to you, you're twenty, yet you claim your husband started beating you 7 years ago, which means he married you when you were thirteen.

Go hire a lawyer and hope he's dumb enough to believe your story. Our "problem" is that we're too smart to.

seekinhelp

I notice that you didn't answer some of the questions your post raised, such as your husband being down and "sloppy" drunk one minute, then getting up immediately after you "tapped" him to start beating you.

I notice that you didn't respond to the question about your age. According to you, you're twenty, yet you claim your husband started beating you 7 years ago, which means he married you when you were thirteen.

Go hire a lawyer and hope he's dumb enough to believe your story. Our "problem" is that we're too smart to.
I never said he immediately got up and started beating on me have you ever saw a drunk person jump up out of a dead sleep? I've been with him since I was 14 not 13 where did you get that from? And when did I say we're married? me calling him my spouse? because thats what the judge labeled him regardless I don't care what you think or anyone else for that matter acting ugly don't make you better then anyone else thats all I'm gonna say to people like you happy trails bullying people.

CdwJava

I never said he immediately got up and started beating on me have you ever saw a drunk person jump up out of a dead sleep? I've been with him since I was 14 not 13 where did you get that from? And when did I say we're married? me calling him my spouse? because thats what the judge labeled him regardless I don't care what you think or anyone else for that matter acting ugly don't make you better then anyone else thats all I'm gonna say to people like you happy trails bullying people.
You said you were 20 and had been with him for 7 years ... let's see ... 20 minus 7 equals ... um ... 13.

Okay, now that we have THAT out of the way ...

Yes, it is going to be hard for a court to believe that he went from a dead sleep as a result of being passed out from alcohol, to a coherent and raving lunatic as you tapped him. If you think WE are cynical, just wait until you try and tell that story to a jury ... that is, if your attorney even calls you to the stand to testify.

So, you have photos of the injuries he caused that night? Who took these photos? When? How soon after the assault? After all, you were arrested that night, correct? So, if you were arrested on a couple of felony counts, how did you get these photos? Did the police take them? Did the police see any injuries on you? If you took the photos supposedly later on after you were released, they may well be suspect as there will be only a weak foundation as to who caused them or when.

And you say you have no friends ... well, who posted the bail money to get you out? Or, did the judge release you O/R after the arraignment? :eek: If you have friends or family with sufficient means to toss a grand or so down the drain and post collateral for the balance of the bail, those are good friends.

At this point you need to listen to your attorney. If this is a first offense, there may be a way out of this to keep you out of prison. Very few people go to prison for even a first violent felony ... unless, of course, he was grievously injured by your attack. But, if you had injured him so severely I suspect you'd be facing even more serious charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">