• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being emotionally abused by my roommate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alligatorpie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I'm a 20 year old female, my roommate is a 21 year old male that was my best friend for 2 years before we moved in together, almost a year ago. Since we moved in together, my roommate started drinking very heavily. He's become very manipulate and verbally aggressive, and he's pushed me up against the wall a few times. One of his friends needed a place to stay, and I agreed to let him stay for a week, and he's now been living with us for 3 months. I found out a couple weeks ago that one of them or one of their friends has been recording my private conversations, and they refuse to let me hear the recordings or tell me who is making them. My things have been going missing, they refuse to stay out of my room when I'm not home, and they lock my cat in a closet while I'm at work.

Our lease is up in two months, but I don't feel safe living here anymore. I was wondering what my options are for getting out of my lease early in a case like this. I'm not sure how far I can get with my apartment manager if I tell them I'm being emotionally abused, because my roommate and I are not and have never been romantically involved, and there's no proof that anything happened. His friend that has been staying here will back up my roommate on whatever he says (two days ago, in front of his friend, my roommate physically pushed me out the front door and slammed it in my face, and then they both looked me in the eyes and said that he didn't touch me and I was making it up).

They also both smoke marijuana inside the apartment on a daily basis, which I really don't have a problem with, but if that would help get me out, I'm willing to use it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I'm a 20 year old female, my roommate is a 21 year old male that was my best friend for 2 years before we moved in together, almost a year ago. Since we moved in together, my roommate started drinking very heavily. He's become very manipulate and verbally aggressive, and he's pushed me up against the wall a few times. One of his friends needed a place to stay, and I agreed to let him stay for a week, and he's now been living with us for 3 months. I found out a couple weeks ago that one of them or one of their friends has been recording my private conversations, and they refuse to let me hear the recordings or tell me who is making them. My things have been going missing, they refuse to stay out of my room when I'm not home, and they lock my cat in a closet while I'm at work.

Our lease is up in two months, but I don't feel safe living here anymore. I was wondering what my options are for getting out of my lease early in a case like this. I'm not sure how far I can get with my apartment manager if I tell them I'm being emotionally abused, because my roommate and I are not and have never been romantically involved, and there's no proof that anything happened. His friend that has been staying here will back up my roommate on whatever he says (two days ago, in front of his friend, my roommate physically pushed me out the front door and slammed it in my face, and then they both looked me in the eyes and said that he didn't touch me and I was making it up).

They also both smoke marijuana inside the apartment on a daily basis, which I really don't have a problem with, but if that would help get me out, I'm willing to use it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
How is the rent paid? Do you each pay the landlord separately or is it one payment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">