• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Stalked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkscales

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My husband is being stalked by someone for nearly three years. He is afraid that if he puts out a restraining order that she will make up a bunch of lies and :confused: convince the courts (or whomever) that he and I are the ones stalking her. We aren't even close to that.... We live on 5 acres of private property, and she comes when she pleases to bring him "gifts". She calls when she feels like it (we have changed our phone number 3 times and tired of paying to have it changed). She emails at will only to push buttons and no matter how many times he and I ask her to stop - she just continues.

What kind of protection do we have (within the no contact order) against her making up lies that we are the ones stalking her..? Obviously, we aren't, so, in a no-contact order we would be no where near her or call or email her... but she is such a good actor she makes people believe anything.

Any advice would be great appreciated..!
Thanks..!
Lisa

cyjeff

First, it is time for a sit down with your husband. An innocent man wouldn't think for a second about whether or not to protect and calm his own family.

Therefore, he isn't innocent.

Second, unless you want a restraining order, there isn't a single thing you can do.

lkscales

Thank you. I never stated that my husband was innocent or not. I know the answer to that question. I was asking, when we put the restraining order in place how are we covered, for lack of a better word, from her making up lies and trying to convince law enforcement that we are stalking her when we are not..?

Perhaps I just don't know how to ask what I am curious about.

thanks for your time, just the same.

justalayman

I was asking, when we put the restraining order in place how are we covered, for lack of a better word, from her making up lies and trying to convince law enforcement that we are stalking her when we are not..?
she can make whatever allegations she wants to. You will have your chance to provide your side of the story. A court, if necessary, will decide who is being truthful.

belle1989

Lisa,
Ok, now I live in a very small community and small towns are indeed different I realize, but I really can't imagine anyone who would risk the chance of a possible trepassing arrest to show up unannounced or where they weren't welcome?? The constant phone calls (changed 3 times?) and emails suggest that for some reason she feels comforatable enough to continue. And where is she getting this information? Have you and your husband reported these visits, calls and gifts to the local police as unwanted and had this documented? Just a bit curious...

Last edited:

dlw99

Having been stalked by a convincing liar myself, I can tell you that your concern is valid.

If you are 100% certain your husband is no longer involved with the woman, start with a letter, drafted by an attorney and delivered by your local sheriff to stalker at her place of employment, if she has one.

Be honest with the lawyer about prior relations with the woman. Ask him to be very clear that neither you or your husband wish to have any future contact with her, and that you will file for RO if she does not stop.

Have atty spell out every method of contact he can think of, including electronic communications, and communication of any kind through or by another person.

Keep documenting all of her unwanted communications, and call the police if she does not stop.

Obviously you'll have to pursue a restraining order if she ignores the warning.

My big concern here is that while you believe the stalker is a good liar, it's also possible that your husband is an even better one. At the very least, he got you into this mess, and it is he who should be pursuing every avenue to restore quiet enjoyment of your home.

mistoffolees

Having been stalked by a convincing liar myself, I can tell you that your concern is valid.

If you are 100% certain your husband is no longer involved with the woman, start with a letter, drafted by an attorney and delivered by your local sheriff to stalker at her place of employment, if she has one.
I wouldn't do that. Look up tortuous interference and think of the damages if you cost her her job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">