• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being threatened

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DesperateMom21

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Going to try to keep this brief.My father has legal guardianship of my children and recently found out that I am planning on going back to court to try to get them back.He has turned violent in front of my children,a few weeks ago he attacked me in front of my 3 yr. old.Yesterday,I mentioned the fact that my 3 yr. old remembers what he did he said "yeah,you're lucky I didn't kill you"My question is: Can I taped conversations between he and I without his knowledge?My fiance' thinks that I should,so that I have proof of his threats and outrageous behavior.I am terrified of my father and what he is capable of.I don't think he would hurt my children,but when he is drinking he is capable of anything.Any input on this matter would be much appreciated.

K

knorris

Just Curious.

Why does your dad have custody of your children ? Has he always had a drinking and violence problem ?

D

DesperateMom21

My father has custody because two years ago I wasn't able to provide for them.I thought it was the best thing to do at the time.He has always had a drinking problem,he had itunder control for a few years,but now is reverting back to his old ways.He hasa very violent temper,and has a record to show it.He was in prison,but got off on a technicality.

K

knorris

If you have not gotten an attorney then you should. Most charge a little or no fee for a consultation. I understand why you gave them over to your dad. You should have a good chance of now gaining custody back. As long as you have employment and your own residence and are able to provide for them. I know when I divorced my ex and sought full custody due to his violent past. That it was a big factor in the judge granting me custody. I had a 9 page police record that I provided to the court. That showed just how violent my ex was. You should obtain copys of any record your father has. You can do this by going to the court clerk were he was convicted. good luck Kathie :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">