• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

biological father threatening to hold son down and shave him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

76phelan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My step son is 14 years old and has started growing a moustache and has long hair. His biological father does not like this and wants him to hsave the moustache. My step son called today ffrom his biological fathers (there for the weekend) upset because his biological father told him if he does not shave before he comes back in 2 weeks that he will hold him down and shave his face against his will.

My question is: is this within parental rights or would this be assault. There is no hygiene or health issue with the moustache, it is just that his biological father does not like th way it looks.

Any advvice would be greatly appreciated.

cyjeff

Butt out.

This has nothing to do with you.

At all.

A parent is 100% in charge of how their minor children are groomed.

You are not a parent. You are a legal stranger and have no say in the matter whatsoever.

mommyof4

Geez...I wonder what opinion you will have of me when you find out that I bribed ($20...he's a mercenary little wart...) my nephew to cut his hair.....:p

cyjeff

Geez...I wonder what opinion you will have of me when you find out that I bribed ($20...he's a mercenary little wart...) my nephew to cut his hair.....:p
Crap... I had a high and tight through the seventies.

Have I mentioned that my dad was ex military?

76phelan

ok...posted this because my wife (his biological mother) was extremely upset due to the fact that her son called her crying because his father is threatening to hold him down and forcibly shave his face. I am in the military and currently stationed away from her and was trying to help her figure out her son's legal rights in this situation.

I could care less about his hair, etc. My feeling is that at 14 he can choose how he wants his hair to look or whether or not he has facial hair. So thanks for helping.

Banned_Princess

ok...posted this because my wife (his biological mother) was extremely upset due to the fact that her son called her crying because his father is threatening to hold him down and forcibly shave his face. I am in the military and currently stationed away from her and was trying to help her figure out her son's legal rights in this situation.

I could care less about his hair, etc. My feeling is that at 14 he can choose how he wants his hair to look or whether or not he has facial hair. So thanks for helping.
Not so, maybe the 14 year old should stop crying like a baby, and do as his PARENT demands, or get it shaved for him. does he want to do it the easy way, or the hard way.

He has no "rights" at all, except the right to eat, have cloths to cover his body, and a roof over his head. (also the right against abuse, but what you are describing isn't abuse. )

At 18 he can look like whatever kind of hobo he wants.

Oh yea, whatever your feeling is doesn't matter, obviously his actual dad feels different.

Isis1

i remember threatening my 8 year old when he didn't want me to shave his head...oddest thing, screamed a whole 20 minutes. he calmed down when i asked him if he wanted me to sing to him while i did it. he sat still.

my 12 is ALLOWED for the most part to style his hair how he wants. but as the parents dad and i determine the cut. and we never agree on anything by the way...

Proserpina

I'm actually going to disagree here - actually holding the child down and shaving him may well be assault.

I'm going to ask CWJava to stop by and take a look here.

CourtClerk

Ha! I'll one up that one. My sister at one tome refused to cut her son's hair (my nephew). I told her one day that I was going to take the boys on a day out (hers and mine) and brought them all back with nice new haircuts.:D (even got my mom to pay - she hated their long hair too).

She didn't speak to me for a couple of weeks, but even she had to admit that the boys looked so much better. She's been using my barber ever since.

CourtClerk

(I also got C's name wrong - apologies, Carl lol)

It just doesn't sound...right to me. But I do get the feeling you're right.
Ever have the nurse tell you to restrain your child while they were getting shots? How about the kid that makes the mad dash from the dentist chair?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">