• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking your lease due to Domestic Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magicwands4

What is the name of your state (Nevada)? Nevada

My sister is a recent victim to Domestic Violence and just this past Sunday night the assailant had entered here place of residence with another gentlemen and stole all of her furniture. Also the maintenance men viewed the two men entering her home and did nothing. I am aware of other state laws from searching on the internet, but not to keen on Nevada. She is trying to get out her lease and move here to Texas for her safety. She contacted her rental office, provided them proof from the District Attorneys Office and they told her that was not a good enough reason to break her lease.
My question is is there some law stating that she can break her lease due to Domestic Violence? I thought a landlord had to provide a safe home under the Safe Home Act.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (Nevada)? Nevada

My sister is a recent victim to Domestic Violence and just this past Sunday night the assailant had entered here place of residence with another gentlemen and stole all of her furniture. Also the maintenance men viewed the two men entering her home and did nothing. I am aware of other state laws from searching on the internet, but not to keen on Nevada. She is trying to get out her lease and move here to Texas for her safety. She contacted her rental office, provided them proof from the District Attorneys Office and they told her that was not a good enough reason to break her lease.
My question is is there some law stating that she can break her lease due to Domestic Violence? I thought a landlord had to provide a safe home under the Safe Home Act.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Prove that it is the landlord's fault that this man broke in. She signed a lease. He doesn't have to let her move. She is responsible for the contracts she signed.

Hot Topic

I notice that you don't mention her taking out a restraining order on her boyfriend following the
assault. Interesting that you refer to his accomplice as "another gentlemen."

Last edited:

LdiJ

I notice that you don't mention her taking out a restraining order on her boyfriend following the
assault. Interesting that you refer to his accomplice as "another gentlemen."
Aren't restraining orders automatic in a DV case?

In any case, I would advise the sister to move to TX anyway. Her safety is more important than her credit score.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">