• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

But is this domestic violence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollyhollyholly

Hello, I just turned 21 in July and have no family whatsoever. Best thing about it, I live smack-dab in the middle of California.
This is a rather lengthy read and covers nearly 10 months now of me living with a couple and their child.

Back in December I needed to find a new place to live and had thought I lucked out when a really nice co-worker offered herself as a roommate for whatever place we agreed upon.
She didn't tell me she had a husband and two year old. It's cool though, I didn't mind I still was doing my research for which places would be appropriately priced for us to live at. Husband made up his mind and I had no say in it.
Before we had moved in I let the wife know my maximum limit would be 600$ a month. She agreed.
Husband decided I would pay half of the 1700$ and after a few disputes back and forth he "settled" for 700$ and equal ownership of the apartment. I felt complied to accept as I didn't have a choice.
Two months later I'm demoted to 700$ for a room inside an apartment and bathroom privileges but they would pay for food.

In March I lent them my car and they left it outside in a construction zone, it was towed away. They also decided to call my aunt and they both came up with the conclusion that I had a warrant for my arrest (this was far from the case, but I was scared and believed them.) They didn't go and take my car and three weeks later my car was repossessed and I had to pay nearly 1000$ out of pocket. Same to say I didn't pay rent that month but since the husband is always right, it was still something I owed them.
The next month I borrowed 400$ from friends and paid 300$, and after that I was 300$ short for both months after that because of still having to pay for my car because of policies and such even though I didn't own my car anymore. They took my card and pulled out "what I owe for rent' is what they would say but my bank statements prove they'd also buy groceries and baby needs. During this time they continued talking behind my back and removing my items from the bathroom, and then began the husband's cyberstalking of me.
It got to the point that I couldn't log in to any game or social media without him coming upstairs and banging on my door for a talk or him messaging me to tell me to go downstairs. If I wasn't online he'd message my boyfriend via skype and tell me to come downstairs that way.

In July they hit a run on their expenses and forced the blame onto me, having me sell my laptop and gaming consoles to pay for the rent whereas they continued buying take-out and pizza and he played comfortably on his super computer and kept the lights on in the entire apartment all day long. I stopped talking to them and chose to either busy myself at work or flat out ignore him if I was at home. He then started turning off my power whenever I chose to ignore him and would call me a child for not wanting to speak with him. By August it was decided that we were not going to be living on the premise anymore so I readied myself to move to Texas.

September 1st comes around and they chose to stay forcing me to stick around as well even though I had already put in my 2 weeks notice, I again refused to speak with them after they continued to pester me for the 600$ I supposedly still owed them. Yesterday they called the cops telling them I was trying to commit suicide, the cops broke open my door while I was in the middle of sleeping and after I explained everything and what they were doing, left the scene telling me to find a new place to live. The husband then called the landlord which I had no idea the two were buddy buddy and she continued to apologize to him for my acting as if I was some stray. He kept telling her that I never paid a cent and now owe them over 3000$ and she was so mortified saying "I have no words I'm so sorry, I didn't know" and asked him to meet her at her office.

Now I'm dangling on a rope unsure of what I'm able to do, I never thought being nice to people would escalate to this.
Thoughts and advice? (also I don't know if I put this in the right forum, I feel threatened to live here so I assume it's domestic)

justalayman

Now I'm dangling on a rope unsure of what I'm able to do, I never thought being nice to people would escalate to this.
Thoughts and advice? (also I don't know if I put this in the right forum, I feel threatened to live here so I assume it's domestic)
Your post is very confusing. I have no idea what you are really looking for. If there is no lease, then leave. If there is a lease, you can leave but you will still owe your share of the remainder of the lease. You maybe able to sublet to somebody but given the scenario, I doubt it. If you owe them money, pay them. If you don't, tell them to stuff it.\

You have not given any reason you should feel actually threatened. You posted nothing suggesting you were in danger of being injured.

hollyhollyholly

Your post is very confusing. I have no idea what you are really looking for. If there is no lease, then leave. If there is a lease, you can leave but you will still owe your share of the remainder of the lease. You maybe able to sublet to somebody but given the scenario, I doubt it. If you owe them money, pay them. If you don't, tell them to stuff it.\

You have not given any reason you should feel actually threatened. You posted nothing suggesting you were in danger of being injured.
I had originally made arrangements to pay them back the 600$, but once the landlord came in he changed his story and said I owe them 3000$.
I feel threatened because they had constantly asked for my card and if I don't give it to them he'd bang on my door and threaten to have it removed or stalk my online accounts. I'm not able to leave my room without him waiting outside my door and start harassing me about 3000$ which I KNOW I don't owe him.

TigerD

And the answer to your question is: No, it is not domestic violence.

And the unasked for advice: Move. Stop making excuses. Get out of there.

DC

Eekamouse

And accept the fact that you are no longer 12 years old. Learn to communicate like an adult instead of acting like a sullen little brat who is giving everyone the silent treatment to show them. How'd that kind of behavior work for you back when you were 12? Using the same tactics as a 21 year old makes you seem like you need a spanking and no T.V. for a week. Sheesh. SMH

CdwJava

Time to move. Let them sue you if they feel you owe them the money. Hopefully you paid them with a check and not in cash, because if you paid in cash, and there is no written or electronic record of communications as to what you have paid, you may find yourself losing in court if they come across more believable.

Harassment of a cohabitant about rent or financial issues is not likely to qualify as domestic violence under PC 13700 et seq. ... and, even if it were, it would not absolve you of any responsibility for your debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">