• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can another county modify of override my CPO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrini

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a CPO in against my ex that covers our son as a protected person, it also names me as the sole legal guardian (we were never married & there has never been any other custody hearing) & suspends his visitation. For the sake of brevity I won't go into the entire history since my question is mostly about the CPO itself and if another county can change or override it.

Last week Ex filed for visitation a county over from the county who gave the CPO. I'm concerned about it being in another county as it seems more likely that the court that found he is a danger to both me and DS will take our safety more seriously. The exact words of the magistrate after my hearing were "Be careful, this is a very dangerous man". I'm worried about having to prove to a new judge or magistrate that: I fear him, he's abused me, he's endangered our son (this was substantiated by CSB), and has a long history of alcohol and drug abuse (this is documented including a heroin possession conviction).

Where he filed is in fact the county in which our son and I live now. However, I thought that the court who gave the order had jurisdiction over custody and visitation since they named DS as a protected person, suspended visitation and are the only court that has given any orders regarding visitation or custody of DS. Is this the case or can the neighboring county modify the CPO or award visitation despite having the CPO?

Since our safety is on the line, I do have a consultation with an attorney but it's not until next week. I'm still scared of this guy and it's just eating me up not knowing if I'm going to have to prove the history again to a new court. I appreciate any insight into who has jurisdiction over this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">