• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be considered harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ramza

My ex girlfriend cheated on me for some guy that I found out about. She's taking me to court for a preliminary protection order because I had created a fake email account with her name and sent emails to her current boyfriend. Never did I send her any emails. Could this be considered harassment?

xylene

Yes.

For an accurate answer, please come back an indicate your state, per the terms of the website.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex girlfriend cheated on me for some guy that I found out about. She's taking me to court for a preliminary protection order because I had created a fake email account with her name and sent emails to her current boyfriend. Never did I send her any emails. Could this be considered harassment?
It could be considered:
1) Harassment;
2) Identity theft;
3) Fraud;
And depending on the content of the emails:
4) theft by deception;
5) Menacing;
6) Defamation.

More issues may come.

xylene

It could be considered:
1) Harassment;
2) Identity theft;
3) Fraud;
And depending on the content of the emails:
4) theft by deception;
5) Menacing;
6) Defamation.

More issues may come.
Depending on the state (NY for example) even creating the account, excluding the sending of emails, could be a crime as well.

Ramza

It's certainly juvenile. How old are you?
This is in Virginia. I am 28.

I still don't see how this would constitute as [directly] harassing her. I have made no direct communications to her. Can you get a PPO issued against you for going through other parties and the woman crying "harassment"? This just seems silly to me.

Also, the PPO was filed in a state I do not reside. How could I be of any threat to her living 5 hours away? I live in NY.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I still don't see how this would constitute as [directly] harassing her. I have made no direct communications to her. Can you get a PPO issued against you for going through other parties and the woman crying "harassment"? This just seems silly to me.

Also, the PPO was filed in a state I do not reside. How could I be of any threat to her living 5 hours away? I live in NY.
Reread OG's post. And grow up.

HomeGuru

**A: you're kidding right? What you did was not only silly, it was downright idiotic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">