• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonyeo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Minnesota

I have a daughter who is 16 and she has been dating a boy who is 17, he has been very controlling (although she does not see it). I told them the relationship must end, but he obtained another sim card and gave it to her, I found the phone and read the texts, he has been trying to get her to sneak out in the middle of the night, we also found out that they were having sex and in one of the text's he talks about getting her pregnant and how they would be good parents, in another text he talks about her urinating in his mouth, he also has said in one of the texts that he got adhd pills from a friend and took them. We have spoke to his parents requesting that he has no more contact with her and they agreed, but they are still seeing each other in school and my daughter is now lying to me about having to stay after school for tests. I went to the school and asked for their help and they basically told me there is nothing they can do, even if we get a restraining order they can not stop them from seeing each other as it is a public place, I now have no choice but to remove her from the school. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tonyeo

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File for a restraining order and when given one, make sure it is placed in your child's file at school. The school cannot allow this boy near her or in contact with her if there is a restraining order. If the boy is near her or in contact, you can have him arrested. Also, schools are not public places and they are supposed to operate in loco parentis.

tonyeo

Thanks I will look into it more now that I know I can get one, its a shame really that the boys parents have not stood up to the plate and backed us, but I am really concerned for the well being of my daughter, both mentally and physically, what amazes me is that the principal at the school asked me if I wanted to take the chance on my daughter hating me and not wanting to have anything to do with me if I stop them seeing each other, my reply was that I am her parent not her friend I have to look out and protect her to the best of my ability, and the fact that he told me they could not keep them apart even with a restraining order does not fill me with confidence.
Anyway thank you for the prompt reply.
Tonyeo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">