• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue a person who had me falsely arrested then dropped the charges.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunatate11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Can I sue a person who had me falsely arrested then dropped the charges? My gun was confiinscated by law enforcement ( it had nothing to do with the charges) but now I'm having to deal with the injunction that was granted as a result of the false charges. The injunction prohibits me from having a gun. Also need advice on how to have the injunction dissolved.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Can I sue a person who had me falsely arrested then dropped the charges? My gun was confiinscated by law enforcement ( it had nothing to do with the charges) but now I'm having to deal with the injunction that was granted as a result of the false charges. The injunction prohibits me from having a gun. Also need advice on how to have the injunction dissolved.
What were you charged with?

Antigone*

What were the events leading up to the person calling the police on you?

sunatate11

What were you charged with?
What were the events leading up to the person calling the police on you?
I was staying at my mom's place while preparing my rv for a cross country trip. My mom is 81 and not in a stable mental condition. She was in a hostile frame of mind when I arrived at the property to finish loading equipment. As a result of our verbal exchanges I decides to go ahead and leave the next day, and I informed her of that. I left the property to put some items in storage. u
Upon my return I was arrested by a swat team. I was told that my mom accused me of striking her. I told law enforcement that was not true and asked them to document the injuries. There were no injuries and required no medical response.

Antigone*

I was staying at my mom's place while preparing my rv for a cross country trip. My mom is 81 and not in a stable mental condition. She was in a hostile frame of mind when I arrived at the property to finish loading equipment. As a result of our verbal exchanges I decides to go ahead and leave the next day, and I informed her of that. I left the property to put some items in storage. u
Upon my return I was arrested by a swat team. I was told that my mom accused me of striking her. I told law enforcement that was not true and asked them to document the injuries. There were no injuries and required no medical response.
So you want to sue your 81-year old mother:eek:

You want to sue your elderly mother with mental issues or are you saying she has normal mental capacity but was just angry with you? Either way, I don't see how that would help you get your gun rights back.

sunatate11

So you want to sue your 81-year old mother:eek:
No. Not at all. I want to have my property returned so I can take off cross country. However, the only way that will happen is if the injunction is dropped or I spend thousands of dollars in legal fees... I can't afford that due to losing my business in the down turn. I'm working odd jobs so I can put tires on my truck. I'm not going to bash my mom but ask that you understand that this was an intentional act on her part and she knows what she did was wrong. That is why the charges were dropped.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No. Not at all. I want to have my property returned so I can take off cross country. However, the only way that will happen is if the injunction is dropped or I spend thousands of dollars in legal fees... I can't afford that due to losing my business in the down turn. I'm working odd jobs so I can put tires on my truck. I'm not going to bash my mom but ask that you understand that this was an intentional act on her part and she knows what she did was wrong. That is why the charges were dropped.
We only have your word as to why the charges were dropped. The reality is that they could have been dropped for lack of physical evidence or they could have been dropped because dear old mom thinks that her son is stressed out and that it was a one-time occurrence, so why punish her son further (combined with the lack of physical evidence.)

Isis1

if the charges are dropped....shouldn't his guns have been returned to him?

and mommy didn't arrest you. the cops did. they didn't just tell you to leave the premises. they arrested you based on something you said. (you'd be surprised how many domestic assaults end up in arrest because the aggressor walked right into it).

sunatate11

You want to sue your elderly mother with mental issues or are you saying she has normal mental capacity but was just angry with you? Either way, I don't see how that would help you get your gun rights back.
She does have mental issues. Anger. But it doesn't effect her ability to know what she is doing. My approach to this is to move on. I have already spent money I don't have to fight this, now I'm finding I will have to spend much more. My wish is that she drop the injunction, saving me thousands and there would be no reason to go any further. I will absorb my losses and move on.

sunatate11

We only have your word as to why the charges were dropped. The reality is that they could have been dropped for lack of physical evidence or they could have been dropped because dear old mom thinks that her son is stressed out and that it was a one-time occurrence, so why punish her son further (combined with the lack of physical evidence.)
You could be right. I think she didn't understand that being involved in a trial would keep her from her yard work. The case was weak at best. I have no priors, not even a speeding ticket.

sunatate11

if the charges are dropped....shouldn't his guns have been returned to him?

and mommy didn't arrest you. the cops did. they didn't just tell you to leave the premises. they arrested you based on something you said. (you'd be surprised how many domestic assaults end up in arrest because the aggressor walked right into it).
The cops only respond to complaints. In the case of domestic violence, once the cops are called, someone is going to jail. Ask a cop if this is true. It is very common for people to file false police reports against someone who has done nothing wrong.

Antigone*

The cops only respond to complaints. In the case of domestic violence, once the cops are called, someone is going to jail. Ask a cop if this is true. It is very common for people to file false police reports against someone who has done nothing wrong.
That blanket statement is completely false

sunatate11

That blanket statement is completely false
Ok. The cops respond to all kinds of situations including complaints. If the complaint is domestic violence, someone is going to jail. This is what I have been told by the cops, the DA and my council when I inquired as to how I could be arrested with no witnesses and no evidence. As far as people being arrested for something they didn't do, it happens all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">