• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I take legal action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hermionegranger

My mother told me that my father choked her, leaving evidence aroung her throat. She immediately called the cops but did not press charges. Instead she filled out a police report.
My question is, is there any legal action I can take against my father to keep him away from my mother? Like a restraining order?

It does not seem like she wants to press charges and is completely delusional about the state of their relationship. He is cheating on her. From talking to her I have gathered that she is ultimately waiting for him to come back to her. In reality he is just using her for her money as she earns more than he does. He takes out the same amount of money each month but she doesn't know where he spends it. When she asked him about it he refused to tell her. And well, things have just gotten worse and worse but she refuses to leave. My father doesn't know that I know and I am afraid that if I let him know he will hurt my mother. She refuses to leave the house because then she will lose it if he decides to file for divorce first. Is there anything I can do to get this man away from my mother?

Proserpina

My mother told me that my father choked her, leaving evidence aroung her throat. She immediately called the cops but did not press charges. Instead she filled out a police report.
My question is, is there any legal action I can take against my father to keep him away from my mother? Like a restraining order?

It does not seem like she wants to press charges and is completely delusional about the state of their relationship. He is cheating on her. From talking to her I have gathered that she is ultimately waiting for him to come back to her. In reality he is just using her for her money as she earns more than he does. He takes out the same amount of money each month but she doesn't know where he spends it. When she asked him about it he refused to tell her. And well, things have just gotten worse and worse but she refuses to leave. My father doesn't know that I know and I am afraid that if I let him know he will hurt my mother. She refuses to leave the house because then she will lose it if he decides to file for divorce first. Is there anything I can do to get this man away from my mother?

(This assumes that you're in the US)

No. Your mother is an adult and is able to make her own choices.

sandyclaus

As much as you want to help your mother, she is an adult, and responsible for her choices.

If she chooses not to press charges, that's something you have to live with. All you can do is try to convince her to take the appropriate actions. You cannot do it for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">