• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Burnam1978

Michigan
My ex husband has a long history of domestice violence. He has been in prison and each time he gets out he convinces me he is better and ready to be a positive part of our lives. I stupidly believe him and he always ends up abusing us again. (This is his 3 time going back) My oldest son has an emotional detachment traced back to the abuse we suffered. My daughter has an anxiety disorder due to the things she suffered. I am tired of the cycle and want out for good. I have a PPO now and he is fighting it every step of the way.
I just bought a house and I am steps away from dropping everything to take my kids and hide. I want out!! Is it possible for me to terminate his rights without step-parent adoption???

TinkerBelleLuvr

Would suggest an attorney, but if you have enough evidence of the domestic violence, you have a shot at getting there to be no visitation rights. In the worst case, ask for supervised visits. There are places that will make that happen; ask that the X be responsible for the costs.

Have you had the children in counseling? If so, would the counselor be willing to testify to the issues?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">