• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a judge legally make me lose everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brunobiancojr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i live in maine i have a tpr hearing in the state of florida the judge ordered me to show up in person but if i do i will lose my apt which i have sec 8 and lose my job and son

CourtClerk

Ok... rewrite this post and put in all the stuff you left out. People on section 8 appear in court all the time without losing their job, apartment and son. So, who are you bothering in FL and why?

Of course, the obvious options are hire an attorney in FL, or appear.

Hot Topic

It would help the uninitiated to know what a tpr is.

Oh! Just checked, and I think it means termination of parental rights. How would that cause you to lose your Section 8 status? How would that cause you to lose your job?

Last edited:

enjay

Just guessing, but maybe the OP will lose his/her job if he/she has to take off to go from Maine to Florida.

CourtClerk

It would help the uninitiated to know what a tpr is.

Oh! Just checked, and I think it means termination of parental rights.
Generally yes, however, since this is in the DV thread, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with a temporary restraining order.

Just guessing, but maybe the OP will lose his/her job if he/she has to take off to go from Maine to Florida.
OK... but what's that got to do with the apartment and son? Why a TPR in FL, when the child is in Maine?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i live in maine i have a tpr hearing in the state of florida the judge ordered me to show up in person but if i do i will lose my apt which i have sec 8 and lose my job and son
The judge can order you to appear in court in Florida. If you lose everything because of that, it is NOT the judge's fault. But through your own choices that put you in that position. So if you are ordered to be in Florida you better be there. If you don't show, you could find yourself with a warrant.

tranquility

I'm not going to get into specifics or actually read the facts, but it should be an FAQ of the list, that when a question asks:
"can a judge legally make me lose everything", the answer is YES. A judge can decide your *life* is forfeit.

They can decide pretty much everything and anything and have an army of highly-trained armed men to enforce their decision.

Can they? Yes. Is it correct they do? That is a more complex question which requires *facts* and circumstances which are substantively missing in the OP's post.

Just Blue

They can decide pretty much everything and anything and have an army of highly-trained armed men to enforce their decision.

As a parent I would love to have an army of highly-trained armed men to enforce my decisions...sigh...

tranquility

I don't think you need all that, they sell Tasers for personal use. They hardly leave a mark and none at all if you use it in contact mode. Just clean up the marker tags and it's your word against theirs.

I'd believe you.

Bucky41

I don't think you need all that, they sell Tasers for personal use. They hardly leave a mark and none at all if you use it in contact mode. Just clean up the marker tags and it's your word against theirs.

I'd believe you.
ummm...tranquility...you're scaring me:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">