• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my dad get a restraining order against my mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WynterXhale

My dad and I live in Louisiana in Jefferson Parish. My mother has been living with us for a few years and every now and then she would have these episodes where she would get mad, drunk, or even both and would verbally abuse us. She has slowly been getting worse and in the past year has started throwing things at us, breaking things, and even hitting us. We've had the police come 3 times on separate occasions, and the last time they took her to the hospital because she took too many of her pain pills. Last time she had one of her episodes she went into my dads room while he was sleeping and threatened him with a knife. The police told us we could get a restraining order against her, but when we talked to a lawyer about it she said we couldn't because we'd be kicking her onto the streets. She has no where else to go and cant afford to live by herself.

My dad and she are divorced, but he let her live with us when she couldn't make it by herself. I have video and audio recordings of her screaming at us, throwing things, threatening to kill us, and hitting us. I don't know what we can do anymore, the police told us one thing and a lawyer that was recommended to us said another. My dad also has another house he's trying to sell, but the divorce lawyer said she has no rights to it. Should we wait until its sold in case she tries to get it? She doesn't pay any rent, but sometimes gives us her food stamp card, which we mostly use when she want too cook or as a way to pay back my dad who sometimes gives her money so she can pay her bills or prescriptions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">