• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a sibling obtain an Order of Protection against another sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jmcanoy1860

What is the name of your state? My question relates to Arkansas. My question is this. I have an 18 year old brother who lives at home with my mother who is almost 70. I am a Doctor in Georgia. He was expelled from high school recently on the grounds of terroristic threatening to a teacher. He has a history in the courts of possession of paraphernalia with residue, truancy, and prescription forgery as a minor (among other things). My parents receive social security as retirement to help pay for his upkeep. Now that he is 18 he is declaring that this money is his and refuses to hand the check over. I have been told that he can only receive this money while enrolled in school but we'll see. He refuses to do anything to help my mother around the house or follow the simplest rules and hides drugs and alcohol in his room. He has violated his probation in every way. He has also threatened me, which is the most minor of all things. He coned my mother into cosigning a loan on a car for him so that he could go to work (he claimed to have a job which he does not have). This basically ensures that my mother will have to pay for the car in order to save her credit. He utilizes lies, emotional lability, and mind games to manipulate my parents into giving him money, and he has a history of dealing drugs and drug trafficking. His attitude vacillates between caring and temper outbursts which scare both of my parents.
Can I, as a brother who does not live with the victims, obtain an order of protection against my brother forcing him to vacate the premises and have no contact with my parents. I have both of their powers of attorney and they have told me of their interest in removing him from the premises.
thank you for your time and interest

seniorjudge

Actually, an order of protection will do you little good.

You need to get your mother away from him as soon as possible.

Ozark_Sophist

Evict him.

You want to obtain an Order of Protection on behalf of an elder? I ask because you post makes it seem you personally want the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">