• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can somebody get a restraining order against me without me knowing it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: North Carolina

Hi,
I am from Germany and have spent two month in the United States on a B1-Visa. Someone threatened to get a restraining order against me but I have never gotten a mail or anything at all confirming that this person has actually done that. Still I am worried that there might be something on my records. I left the States a week after this person threatened to get the order, so I am worried that the mail just has never reached me. So here are my questions:

Can there be something on my records without me being notified about it at all (and thus without the possibility to defend myself)?
How can I check that?
Do I as a German student even have a record in the United States?
(I don't think that the person had my proper addresse in the U.S., she knows though where I live in Germany)
I want to come back and work in the US one day. If there is something on my record, can I still get a visa?

Thank you for your help!

JETX

Can there be something on my records without me being notified about it at all (and thus without the possibility to defend myself)?
Yes.

How can I check that?
Contact the court.

Do I as a German student even have a record in the United States?
If you obtained a drivers license, registered for school, had any medical treatment, etc., then yes you COULD have a record.

I want to come back and work in the US one day. If there is something on my record, can I still get a visa?
Depends on what record(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">