• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you go to jail for assault with no proof?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liquidmetalix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have been served papers saying I have to go to court for the following charges being brought by my wife.

attempted assault
assault in the second degree
assault in the third degree
harassment in the first or second degree
disorderly conduct
menacing in the second or third degree

she is saying i have been abusing her and the children for many years.
one of the incidents mentioned say i attacked her in November of 2008 with a steak knife and stabbed her in the lip.
and apparently i kick and throw her cat around.
also on the the day she moved out of my home:
(direct from the paperwork)

the petr states that the resp and his current girlfriend violently removed her from the home. the resp attempted to throw her down the stairs while petr was in pre-labor.

oh and apparently i am very dangerous and a likely to use a firearm on her.

she wants the court to adjudge me of these crimes.
enter a order of protection that i can never contact her or my children ever again, and she wants to retrieve her cat from my premises (that she believes is still here, i got rid of that cat the day she left, you cant force me to take care of your pet)

she has called my house threatening me and my roommate (who is not my girlfriend) with her friends saying they will be at court and will say they saw me abusing her and the children and they gonna make sure i go to jail and vulgarities.

she has no proof of any these things she is charging me with, can i go to jail even though she has no evidence?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have been served papers saying I have to go to court for the following charges being brought by my wife.

attempted assault
assault in the second degree
assault in the third degree
harassment in the first or second degree
disorderly conduct
menacing in the second or third degree

she is saying i have been abusing her and the children for many years.
one of the incidents mentioned say i attacked her in November of 2008 with a steak knife and stabbed her in the lip.
and apparently i kick and throw her cat around.
also on the the day she moved out of my home:
(direct from the paperwork)

the petr states that the resp and his current girlfriend violently removed her from the home. the resp attempted to throw her down the stairs while petr was in pre-labor.

oh and apparently i am very dangerous and a likely to use a firearm on her.

she wants the court to adjudge me of these crimes.
enter a order of protection that i can never contact her or my children ever again, and she wants to retrieve her cat from my premises (that she believes is still here, i got rid of that cat the day she left, you cant force me to take care of your pet)

she has called my house threatening me and my roommate (who is not my girlfriend) with her friends saying they will be at court and will say they saw me abusing her and the children and they gonna make sure i go to jail and vulgarities.

she has no proof of any these things she is charging me with, can i go to jail even though she has no evidence?
You can go to jail if she can convince the court that you're guilty. Whether she has what you consider to be evidence is irrelevant.

You need an attorney.

LdiJ

And...in my humble opinion, you were a total jerk for getting rid of her cat. In fact, you were the biggest jerk on the face of the earth.

I have had quite a bit of sympathy for you up until this point. I no longer have any at all.

Now I have gone and read your prior posting history and you are not too much of an upright guy, are you?

Last edited:

Isis1

And...in my humble opinion, you were a total jerk for getting rid of her cat. In fact, you were the biggest jerk on the face of the earth.

I have had quite a bit of sympathy for you up until this point. I no longer have any at all.

Now I have gone and read your prior posting history and you are not too much of an upright guy, are you?
I'm just going to have to say ditto to that. If i keep talking i'm going to get banned.

Didn't say you didn't do it, huh?

CdwJava

Here is how it works ... the state will make it's case based upon witness testimony and any physical evidence to show that you are guilty of the crimes alleged. Your attorney will attempt to raise reasonable doubt as to the charges by challenging the evidence and the credibility of any witnesses.

Given all the allegations it is very likely that SOMETHING happened. You may want to consider a plea deal to some lesser offense.

Consult legal counsel.

You know, you said in your thread about seeing your kids, that the police didn't do anything. Honey for her to be pressing CHARGES on you, then the police HAD TO HAVE FOUND SOME EVIDENCE for her to even be able to press charges on you.

What a liar, you're credibility is totally done, I hope that "mini vacation" in Atlantic City was fun.

NY criminal and family courts are NOT a joke my man, I can tell you that FIRST HAND. If she is really lying, then yes the judges wil get pissed and will really reprimand her. If she has enough CREDIBLE evidence, you are toast.

Also in regards to you having custody, this is probably another reason why NEITHER of you have custody right now. You are both craptastic parents.

shakes head..ugh..get a lawyer, you are going to need it...

liquidmetalix

You know, you said in your thread about seeing your kids, that the police didn't do anything. Honey for her to be pressing CHARGES on you, then the police HAD TO HAVE FOUND SOME EVIDENCE for her to even be able to press charges on you.

What a liar, you're credibility is totally done, I hope that "mini vacation" in Atlantic City was fun.

NY criminal and family courts are NOT a joke my man, I can tell you that FIRST HAND. If she is really lying, then yes the judges wil get pissed and will really reprimand her. If she has enough CREDIBLE evidence, you are toast.

Also in regards to you having custody, this is probably another reason why NEITHER of you have custody right now. You are both craptastic parents.

shakes head..ugh..get a lawyer, you are going to need it...
no, i did not do any of the things she alleges and there is no evidence.
she is using the fact that my daughter had a black eye to do all of this.
she has no proof, no medical paperwork stating she has bruises, scars, cuts or even went to hospital after any of the alleged abuse she wants the court to adjudge me with.
she will most likely try to build her entire case off of my daughters black eye, and possibly have some of her friends come to court and try to lie for her.
while I on the other hand have witnesses that have seen her abuse her children before and paperwork that shows she has tried accusing people of abuse of this nature before in the past and pursued to no avail because she was lying.
For the most part I have a clean record, the only thing I have on my record is for when i got charged with hopping a turnstyle.

mistoffolees

no, i did not do any of the things she alleges and there is no evidence.
she is using the fact that my daughter had a black eye to do all of this.
she has no proof, no medical paperwork stating she has bruises, scars, cuts or even went to hospital after any of the alleged abuse she wants the court to adjudge me with.
she will most likely try to build her entire case off of my daughters black eye, and possibly have some of her friends come to court and try to lie for her.
while I on the other hand have witnesses that have seen her abuse her children before and paperwork that shows she has tried accusing people of abuse of this nature before in the past and pursued to no avail because she was lying.
For the most part I have a clean record, the only thing I have on my record is for when i got charged with hopping a turnstyle.
Go back to my first answer. If she convinces the court that you're guilty, you lose. You need an attorney.

BTW, if you have witnesses of her abusing the children, why didn't you call CPS at that time?

Go back to my first answer. If she convinces the court that you're guilty, you lose. You need an attorney.

BTW, if you have witnesses of her abusing the children, why didn't you call CPS at that time?
And to add to this also, with the exception of the infant who you do not think is yours, the other 2 are yours correct? So why would you allow your spouse to abuse your children???:confused::confused::confused:

YOU have stood by and allowed it also, you are no better...

liquidmetalix

you have to understand what kind of person she is.
she gets mad, she takes it out on the children.

if it makes me a coward to not want to do something that might cause further harm to my children, then i am a coward then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">