• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you reverse a restraining order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jealotus

Kentucky
I'm filing a restraining order against an ex boyfriend who has general anxiety disorder (he lives in Tennessee). We lived together with his family for a little over a year before we broke up. He has a history of violent behavior taken out mainly on himself (such as carving words in another language on the skin of his hands) but has demonstrated acts verbally in our past that has made me feel threatened before we broke up (he told me he wondered what it would feel like to fillet my skin). Since our break up I have had to tell him several times both over the phone and on e-mail to not contact me. He resorted to contacting me through friends to enquire how I was which led to this measure. His mother is a legal secretary and has worked for and with lawyers/the law and I'm petrified that he will be able to reverse the restraint against him somehow in court. Is there anyway he can do that and any measures for me to prevent that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

Kentucky
I'm filing a restraining order against an ex boyfriend who has general anxiety disorder (he lives in Tennessee). We lived together with his family for a little over a year before we broke up. He has a history of violent behavior taken out mainly on himself (such as carving words in another language on the skin of his hands) but has demonstrated acts verbally in our past that has made me feel threatened before we broke up (he told me he wondered what it would feel like to fillet my skin). Since our break up I have had to tell him several times both over the phone and on e-mail to not contact me. He resorted to contacting me through friends to enquire how I was which led to this measure. His mother is a legal secretary and has worked for and with lawyers/the law and I'm petrified that he will be able to reverse the restraint against him somehow in court. Is there anyway he can do that and any measures for me to prevent that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Has a temp order been issued and you are worried that he will be able to get that temp order reversed?

If so, it is possible. The Judge will base the decision on the evidence presented in court.

Once the court has issued a perm order, it could be reversed on appeal, but only if a mistake of law is proven.

In other words, his mother working for an attorney is not enough to get the order reversed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">