• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title and Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlange01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My father is trying to keep me under his control by taking away my financial resources and my car. I want to leave, but I don't have a way to get out. I'm 22, so I am a legal adult, and I don't think he should be able to confine me to my home. If the title of my car is in his name, but I've been the one driving it for nearly a year, can I use it to get away and return it later? I don't want to be made into a criminal for escaping an abusive home.

anearthw

You can call the police or take a taxi if you need to leave. Dad will tell everyone that the car is titled to him, maybe that he paid for it, and he was nice enough to let you drive it. You can stay in a homeless shelter if needed until you get on your feet.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My father is trying to keep me under his control by taking away my financial resources and my car. I want to leave, but I don't have a way to get out. I'm 22, so I am a legal adult, and I don't think he should be able to confine me to my home. If the title of my car is in his name, but I've been the one driving it for nearly a year, can I use it to get away and return it later? I don't want to be made into a criminal for escaping an abusive home.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You mean HIS home and HIS car, right? Call a friend, a cab or Uber.

What have you been contributing to the household over the past four years?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">