• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing mind about PFA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danasabot

What is the name of your state?I am from Pennsylvania.
I was granted an emergency PFA in night court on Wednesday and went to the courthouse Friday for a temporary one which is good until this Wednesday when I go for a permanent one. My husband had a constable come to the house to get his clothes etc. The judge granted me soul custody of our 6 year old son and made it so his father cannot be in contact with him. I love my husband, he just has a drinking problem which he needs help with. He has never abused our son and I feel bad that my son cannot see his father. But what are my rights? Can I just not show up at this Permanent hearing and it gets dropped or what? I just do not know what to do!!! I had filed for child custody and alimony when I was at the courthouse. I just want a chance to maybe work out our situation. Is there any way this can be done but either dropping the charges or keeping the PFA and putting some kind of adjustments in it??? Please help me!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How about leaving the PFA in effect until you see if your husband walks the walk and gets help for his problem? Your kid will suffer more from watching Daddy beat up Mommy - or Daddy killing Mommy - than he will from not seeing Daddy for a short period of time. If it was a serious enough situation for you to take the steps you did, it's serious enough to see it through.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
How about leaving the PFA in effect until you see if your husband walks the walk and gets help for his problem? Your kid will suffer more from watching Daddy beat up Mommy - or Daddy killing Mommy - than he will from not seeing Daddy for a short period of time. If it was a serious enough situation for you to take the steps you did, it's serious enough to see it through.
I really have to agree with that. Dad needs AA and maybe even rehab, and to stay sober for a specific period of time before you can safely try to "work things out".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">