• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child abuse at a daycare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sndybelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I would like some advise on a very sensitive issue. About a month ago, teachers from my daughter's daycare confided in me regarding what seems to be child abuse and neglect at the daycare. I pulled my daughter out of the center because I did not trust the place after what I heard. The teachers have concrete evidence (pictures, letters, eye witness accounts) of the wrong doing. There are at least four teachers that have witnessed episodes that just made me sick to my stomach. We have trying to figure out what to do about it. We have called CPS, and the state licensing authorities to no avail. CPS finds the claims "unfounded," and licensing is taking their sweet time analyzing the issue while the abuse continues. I spoke to the owner of the center and she denied everything. The abuse is mainly happening in the infant room (force feeding babies, throwing blankets over their heads, suspicious bruises, and even a broken hand). The parents at the center do not believe the allegations. My daughter is old enough to tell me what has happened to her (harsh punishment, harsh words, etc.) The list is endless. I am appalled that the authorities do not seem to care about the issue. We want to know what our rights are. The owner told me she would "take legal action against the disgruntled teachers if necessary." What else can we do legally? Apparently the owner covers all the anomalies and forbids the teachers to speak to the parents about things that happen on a daily basis. The owner also fires any teacher who dares to stand up to her about the issues. Teachers just come and go. What should we do? This just cannot go on. Even though my daughter is in a safe place now, I just can't sweep the issue under the carpet. Please advise. Thanks. :mad:

mistoffolees

You've done what you need to do by pulling your child out and notifying CPS. Stay out of it unless you want to face a lawsuit.

There are several problems with the "teachers'" story:

1. They claim that all of this abuse is going on, yet they continue to work there. I don't know about you, but if I were working in that abusive of an environment, I'd get the heck out of there.

2. They reported to CPS and CPS says the stories were unfounded. CPS can choose 3 different outcomes - they can find a report to be justified, they can find it to be inconclusive, or they can find it to be unfounded. If there was reasonable evidence, they would probably have found it to be either inconclusive or justified.

3. The other parents don't believe the allegations.

4. The 'teachers' are vocal enough to have complained to CPS, made their concerns known to the agency director, complained to other parents, and otherwise stirred up trouble. They have stirred up enough trouble that the director is threatening legal action.

Your child saying that there are harsh words and harsh punishments isn't very meaningful. So what? A child care location is allowed to use harsh punishments and harsh words if they wish.

It has been reported to the authorities and the authorities have investigated and found nothing. So drop it and let it go.

Oh, and btw, child care workers are not teachers. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I would like some advise on a very sensitive issue. About a month ago, teachers from my daughter's daycare confided in me regarding what seems to be child abuse and neglect at the daycare. I pulled my daughter out of the center because I did not trust the place after what I heard. The teachers have concrete evidence (pictures, letters, eye witness accounts) of the wrong doing. There are at least four teachers that have witnessed episodes that just made me sick to my stomach. We have trying to figure out what to do about it. We have called CPS, and the state licensing authorities to no avail. CPS finds the claims "unfounded," and licensing is taking their sweet time analyzing the issue while the abuse continues. I spoke to the owner of the center and she denied everything. The abuse is mainly happening in the infant room (force feeding babies, throwing blankets over their heads, suspicious bruises, and even a broken hand). The parents at the center do not believe the allegations. My daughter is old enough to tell me what has happened to her (harsh punishment, harsh words, etc.) The list is endless. I am appalled that the authorities do not seem to care about the issue. We want to know what our rights are. The owner told me she would "take legal action against the disgruntled teachers if necessary." What else can we do legally? Apparently the owner covers all the anomalies and forbids the teachers to speak to the parents about things that happen on a daily basis. The owner also fires any teacher who dares to stand up to her about the issues. Teachers just come and go. What should we do? This just cannot go on. Even though my daughter is in a safe place now, I just can't sweep the issue under the carpet. Please advise. Thanks. :mad:

I would question the teachers as to WHY they had evidence of abuse, yet they claimed they didn't know what to do about said evidence. "Confide" in a parent? Why? What authority do you have beyond pulling your child out?

I note that you refer to "what seems" to be child abuse and neglect. That indicates that you don't know for sure. If you continue to make charges against the place, you may find the owner may have YOU investigated since she knows there's no way you're at the daycare 24 hours a day investigating supposed wrongdoing.

CdwJava

If the day care providers have such concrete evidence, then one would think that CPS or the police would have been able to make something stick against someone. I suspect that what they may have is behavior or actions that they disagree with, but are not, per se, unlawful. If these workers see such actions on a regular basis, why on Earth do they remain in a place where they are likely to get sued or even criminally charged as accomplices??

Something is amiss here, and it truly may be disgruntled employees.

If there was proof of the abuse of children in a daycare - especially infants - the authorities would almost certainly be all over it. And since this place seems to have multiple employees, it seems this is a rather large facility and likely has numerous witnesses if the events are true.

As you were told, you have done what you can. Now, go out and find a facility for day care that YOU are comfortable with.

sndybelle

Thank you so much for all the advise. I should mention the teachers are not longer working at the daycare because they were all fired for speaking out. I don't think CPS has seen the evidence the teachers have, but I will let them do what they think they need to do.

CdwJava

Thank you so much for all the advise. I should mention the teachers are not longer working at the daycare because they were all fired for speaking out. I don't think CPS has seen the evidence the teachers have, but I will let them do what they think they need to do.
If the teachers really did have "pictures, letters," and eyewitness testimony concerning unlawful acts, I would think that something would have been done. It seems evident that either the "evidence" was not as clear and convincing as you or the daycare staff might have thought, or, the activity did not cross into the realm of unlawful behavior.

If things were bad there, then the staffers did their ethical and legal duty and reported what they believed were violations of the law, and are probably better off not being there any more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "teachers" are mandated reporters. If they DO have the information you seem to think they have, then they have violated the law (apparently, many times over.)

mistoffolees

The "teachers" are mandated reporters. If they DO have the information you seem to think they have, then they have violated the law (apparently, many times over.)
For OP's benefit, I found the rules in VA:
LIS > Code of Virginia > 63.2-1509
"Any person providing full-time or part-time child care for pay on a egularly planned basis;"

More general information (including what the mandated reporter must do):
Child Protective Services (CPS) - Virginia Department of Social Services

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Point being, they didn't find what was going on to be so reprehensible as to give up their paychecks (aka QUIT), did they?

sndybelle

I have actually thought about it. Why did they stay there as they witnessed all the wrongdoing? I called them up on it. They said they were afraid to lose their job

sndybelle

Point being, they didn't find what was going on to be so reprehensible as to give up their paychecks (aka QUIT), did they?
Exactly. I did ask them about that. Some of the responses I got were "If I didn't stay there, who would protect the babies?" Apparently one of the teachers called CPS on a weekly basis as she witnessed the abuse. CPS would always say they will investigate. I wish I knew who is right. I do worry about ANY child being at risk. Remember, I am a mother, and the thought of a child being abused infuriates me.

mistoffolees

Exactly. I did ask them about that. Some of the responses I got were "If I didn't stay there, who would protect the babies?" Apparently one of the teachers called CPS on a weekly basis as she witnessed the abuse. CPS would always say they will investigate. I wish I knew who is right. I do worry about ANY child being at risk. Remember, I am a mother, and the thought of a child being abused infuriates me.
If I were you, I'd take what the 'teachers' are telling you with a HUGE grain of salt.

First, if they have pictures as you claim, CPS would almost certainly have done it.

Second, if someone was calling CPS on a weekly basis, something would have happened - either CPS would have felt compelled to investigate or the person reporting it so frequently would have lost their job (even though CPS would probably not disclose who it was, the employer would probably figure it out - or at least guess).

The entire story doesn't ring true.

Hot Topic

Those who know and love you should be concerned about how easily you can be manipulated.

And no one besides you worries about a child that may or may not be at risk?No one besides a mother is infuriated by the thought of a child being abused?

If these stories continue, you could find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit. And you'll deserve it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">