• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child endangerment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dantekennet

What is the name of your state (new Hampshire)

so this is my question I am a person with PTSD I am 19 years old(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) you see I was living with my mother for a month but she always had arguments with her BF used to kick him and punch him always complaining why he wasn't working why he didn't have a job yelling at my sister for things then one day she left me babysitting my brother while she went to the store i just couldn't handle living with her anymore and having PTSD didn't make things easy either so I left her house for good and I left my baby brother with a friend so now my mother is suing me for Child endangerment because after she got home my friend wasn't looking out after my brother so I want to know if I can go to jail for this or what can I do to defend myself against this?

mistoffolees

I would talk with an attorney if she actually goes through with her threat.

If the friend was a reasonably responsible adult and you had no reason to expect that he wouldn't watch the child, nothing will probably happen, though.

CdwJava

How old is the child?

Was the child injured in any way?

Without damages, there is little chance of a successful lawsuit so she is blowing smoke. And if you left the child with what you had good reason to believe was a responsible adult, then you did not like commit any crime of child endangerment.

If sued or charged with a crime, speak with an attorney. Though, I think either one is unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">