• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child predator - What can be done when statute of limitations passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaltalknow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

My mother's ex-husband sexually abused me. The statute of limitations has passed.

How can I prevent this from happening to another child? I did not recognize the things he did to me clearly until I became sexually active. (Predators are able to make situations appear different than they are). As a child, I told adults in my life the things that occurred and they didn't understand the situation fully, either, because he was very capable of masking and manipulating everything.

As I realized this an adult, he was already out of our lives. The court had awarded my mother full custody based on his physical abuse and he was only allowed to see his children on supervised visits. He chose not to see them again. He also could not visit our city country after he stopped paying child support.

It was a relief that he was gone. I didn't see a point in letting my little siblings grow up with this in their minds. Or in making my biological parents suffer with this knowledge.
My first boyfriend was the only one I ever told.

He also abused my older sister once when she was very young and as a teenager brought it to the courts attention during the divorce but was told if she said anything about him, she could be in trouble without proof.
At that time, he was working in schools as a consultant.

Knowing there was nothing that could be done with her truth made me feel powerless with mine. My sister still copes with her abuse and has told my parents but I can't bring myself to do that to them.

Now this is coming back again over these past years. In part because the world has changed so much with the internet and I am anxious any time I see my name come up in a search.
It is so easy for anyone to access your life online. I am nervous to make any of my profiles public or see my siblings profiles public because I don't want him to have a window. I don’t need social media, but it is necessary to have a professional profile sometimes. I have thought about changing my last name….
Those are only my personal concerns, though.

He is still a predator. Children are at risk.

I need understand if there is anything I can do Now to prevent another child.

Then I can move past this with understanding that I did what I could.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

My mother's ex-husband sexually abused me. The statute of limitations has passed.

How can I prevent this from happening to another child? I did not recognize the things he did to me clearly until I became sexually active. (Predators are able to make situations appear different than they are). As a child, I told adults in my life the things that occurred and they didn't understand the situation fully, either, because he was very capable of masking and manipulating everything.

As I realized this an adult, he was already out of our lives. The court had awarded my mother full custody based on his physical abuse and he was only allowed to see his children on supervised visits. He chose not to see them again. He also could not visit our city country after he stopped paying child support.

It was a relief that he was gone. I didn't see a point in letting my little siblings grow up with this in their minds. Or in making my biological parents suffer with this knowledge.
My first boyfriend was the only one I ever told.

He also abused my older sister once when she was very young and as a teenager brought it to the courts attention during the divorce but was told if she said anything about him, she could be in trouble without proof.
At that time, he was working in schools as a consultant.

Knowing there was nothing that could be done with her truth made me feel powerless with mine. My sister still copes with her abuse and has told my parents but I can't bring myself to do that to them.

Now this is coming back again over these past years. In part because the world has changed so much with the internet and I am anxious any time I see my name come up in a search.
It is so easy for anyone to access your life online. I am nervous to make any of my profiles public or see my siblings profiles public because I don't want him to have a window. I don’t need social media, but it is necessary to have a professional profile sometimes. I have thought about changing my last name….
Those are only my personal concerns, though.

I need understand if there is anything I can do Now to prevent another child.

Then I can move past this with understanding that I did what I could.

Because he's beyond the SOL for being prosecuted (and presumably a civil suit), even a hint that he's a predator and/or child molester can land you in serious legal trouble.

You can of course change your name and reduce your public visibility to a degree, but we both know that's only going to be minimally effective. I'm sorry, but there really isn't much you can do, without putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

justalayman

You need counseling to help you deal with your issues and fears. The abuse is clearly still affecting your life.

single317dad

If you have proof of this, you should contact the relevant authorities.

If you don't, you shouldn't say it.

I understand that child molesters have a high recidivism rate, and many believe they're never "cured" of their affliction regardless of punishment or treatment, but that doesn't change my response.

CdwJava

The fact remains that making claims against the alleged abuser can result in a civil suit. If he is still a potential risk to children, the proper venue to raise these concerns might be to the police or to CPS - there may even be past or recent allegations that this information can be helpful in making a case.

Though, therapy may very well help you. If this part of your life is still dogging you, then you need to learn to cope with it.

Good luck.

Proserpina

I'm sorry, but the actual state laws do not help our OP in this situation in terms of a civil case unless s/he is still quite young, and as has already been established the criminal SOL has also expired.

Of course I, along with everyone else, would welcome knowledge contradicting that - I'm sure the endgame is to provide help, no?

The recommendation of therapy is solid.

(A brief look can be seen here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-civil-statutes-of-limitations-in-child-sexua.aspx , and here http://www.victimsofcrime.org/docs/NCVBA/statutes-of-limitations-guide.pdf?sfvrsn=4)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">