• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defined as Assault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

21questions

What is the name of your state? MS... Situation occured in TX

Hi,
I am curious as how the law in a situation would be defined.

For 7 months I lived with a man whom, on a daily basis raged verbally nose to nose with me, finger in my face, but boasted that he was not actually touching me, but he was close as he could get without touching me. Screaming, calling me vile names etc ... he was physically abusive to the dogs but had never been towards me. The day of the end of this relationship, he hit the dog, I reacted, lost my temper finally and yelled at him. He then proceeded with the rage, the screaming, name calling , and finger pointed almsot touching my nose, cornered me up against a piece of furniture where I could not escape and I sadly, spit in his face , of course his reaction was hitting me, closed fist in the face and proceeded to tel lme that if it ever happened again I would get alot worse and that I was lucky I didnt get it this time. I left that day.
I am not proud of me losing control what so ever, I realize the spitting was abusive as well and as I said , am ashamed I lost control.
My family of course wanted me to press charges , but I didnt, best thing was I leave the relationship and I did feel like I was wrong for the spitting.
So it has become a debate... whether me spitting in his face would be viewed as domestic abuse or assault etc. if the police had been called.
What is the legal view on this considering the circumstances? Or are the circumstances in which this happened even taken into consideration and just the act itself judged?
Thanks in advance for your opinions and input. :)

- K

JETX

21questions said:
whether me spitting in his face would be viewed as domestic abuse or assault etc. if the police had been called.
What is the legal view on this considering the circumstances?
Yes, your spitting could be viewed as assault. In my opinion, there was grounds for BOTH of you to be arrested and charged. Then, let the court figure it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">