• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissal of a DV assault case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pleasehelp23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex is charged w/ DV assault with bodily injury against me. I am not pressing charges, however, the state of Texas automatically picks up the charge. I understand that the state of Texas has a strict "No Drop" policy. Therefore, I am trying to figure out how to get her charge dismissed if it's not able to be dropped. Pictures were not taken, but only mentioned in the police report. I don't want the charges pursued because I know it was out of frustration that she hit me. We have agreed to not communicate and have not done so. I feel horrible for reporting her and don't want her life to be hindered by this charge. However, I also understand that I must also protect myself with any countersuits. She had mentioned that she would be claiming kidnapping and that it was her self defense as to why she hit me. So it becomes complicated with that because even though she called me and asked to take her to eat, about 5 min prior to that she said she didn't want to see me(being stated in front of her family). So in that event there is that defense for her. So even though she brought her clothes and asked me to take her to eat...I feel its possible for her to charge me with kidnapping. In my defense I was the one who called the police, so I don't think it would hold up but with her anything is possible. I just want the charges dropped or dismissed so that we can both just go our separate ways and never have anything to do with each other, I will be going out of state for my master's in abt 6 months so I just want to leave all this behind.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

You can't get the charges dismissed so you can turn around and get back in the same situation, which it looks like you want to do. You're buying her "I don't want to see you, oh yes, I do" tactics hook, line and sinker. Let justice take its course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">