• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have option?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Merta912

My name is Merta and I’m from Georgia. Can I break my lease if I'm been physical and mental abuse by my child father. (Even in front of a 14month old girl) (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

Have you documented history of abuse? Has your boyfriend been convicted of abusing you? If not...Why?

Hot Topic

Why would you think that a 14 month old would recognize verbal and physical abuse? She obviously would know something something unpleasant was going on; however, you thinking that she'd realize exactly what was going on isn't the remark of an intelligent adult.

Breaking a lease depends on the wording of the lease. If it's in both your names, the landlord may let you out of it but force you to pay your share until it expires. Depends on state laws, too. It's not the landlord's fault that you picked a mentally and physically abusive male to have your child with.

st-kitts

If you fear for your safety and that of your child, you can file for and very likely receive a protective order. The order may give you temporary possession of the apartment and will specify whether or not the child's father is able to have visitation with the child.

Although the child is very young and does not understand what is occurring, she may sense the danger and tension. It isn't a good environment for children, and staying in an abusive relationship can be considered failure to protect your child. If your child is present during an assault and the police are called, your abuser can be charged with misdemeanor cruelty to children in addition to battery charges and DFACs may get involved.

Contact the Georgia Domestic Violence Hotline 800-334-2836 and ask for your closest domestic violence outreach office. A domestic violence advocate can help you file for an ex-parte protective order (for free), or just help you develop a safety plan if you decide you want to flee.

You don't deserve physical abuse.

Stay safe and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">