• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to show up in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paperboy59

What is the name of your state? FL
My wife was granted an injunction about 2 months ago against me for protection against possible domestic violence. The injunction prohibits me from coming anywhere near her or our apartment except on Saturdays when I pick up the kids. Now that the boyfriend, who pressured her into filing the injunction, is out of the picture, she wants to reconcile. She went to the courthouse and filed to have the injunction lifted. There is a court date this Friday and I was notified of it but it doesn't say anywhere that I have to show up for it. My question is....Do I have to show up for the court date?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? FL
My wife was granted an injunction about 2 months ago against me for protection against possible domestic violence. The injunction prohibits me from coming anywhere near her or our apartment except on Saturdays when I pick up the kids. Now that the boyfriend, who pressured her into filing the injunction, is out of the picture, she wants to reconcile. She went to the courthouse and filed to have the injunction lifted. There is a court date this Friday and I was notified of it but it doesn't say anywhere that I have to show up for it. My question is....Do I have to show up for the court date?
You don't HAVE TO, but, you'd be a fool if you didn't show up. NEVER trust an ex or a Judge to do the right thing unless you are present to stand up for your own rights.

Hot Topic

You mean it's too much trouble for you to go to court when there's a chance you and your wife could reconcile, and the two of you be with your children full time? There's something wrong with you.

paperboy59

Take it easy Hot Topic

Thanks for the input all of you....and Hot Topic, I want nothing more than to get back with my wife and kids BUT, there never was any chance of "domestic violence" and the only reason the "boyfriend" pressed her into the injunction was so that I wouldn't drive by and see his car parked in my spot every darn night. I just don't want the judge ordering me to undergo 12 sessions of anger management or something nuts like that. A marriage counsoler for the both of us is a given, but I just didn't want to put up with the "potential wife beater" tag that I was given.... I guess I'll swallow hard and go anyways. Thanks again!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">