• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does emotional abuse count? Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnonMI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

edited because I got my answer, and i don't feel comfortable or safe leaving this up. thank you.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am being emotionally abused. I have an infant with my spouse. The emotional abuse has been escalating recently, and my spouse's mother is also emotionally abusive, to my spouse and to me. My spouse expects me to ignore it, and still visit the mother in law and her family, which normally I do. My spouse is going for a visit to my mother in law soon, and I said I and my infant would not be going. I am not able to handle being treated badly by a large group of people, and my child needs a break from seeing their parent (me) being treated like dirt. It is not healthy for me or my child. My spouse informed me that they will be visiting their mother, and will be taking our child with them. I do not feel comfortable with my child being around my spouse's mother without me present, and I intend on not letting my child go with my spouse to the visit. My spouse will do anything to stay in control, and I am afraid that when the day of the visit comes, if I refuse to let my child go with my spouse, that my spouse will call the police. What are my rights pertaining to this situation? Also, if I were to separate from my spouse, would I be able to keep my child, because of emotional abuse? I do not know if emotional abuse is recognized in my state, or how I would prove it. Please help me, I don't know what else to do, and I have no money or transportation. If I were to spend money or need to go somewhere, my spouse would have to know about it, unless I leave them.
You should rethink not allowing your child going with HIS/HER father to the family visit.

If you are being abused you need to seek help, but nothing here indicates that the child you share with your husband should not go visit family with DAD.

Antigone*

Assuming which parent I am does not help; I didn't ask for an opinion on whether my child should go, I asked if my spouse called the police, what would happen. My spouse was and is emotionally abused by these family members, my child needs to not be around it right now, I can tell that my child is being affected by everything that is going on, and I really feel that it is in the child's best interest to not go if I am not there. I am with the child far more than my spouse, I do most of the child care. This does not make my spouse any less of a parent, it is just the way things work around here, and I really don't feel comfortable being away from my child (who has not yet been separated from me) while my child is around people who put their wants above the needs of a child. I think that indicates that I need to supervise that type of visit, or no visit at all.
This is a civil matter and the police will not get involved. If DAD wants to take his child, he has every right to take the child.

Silverplum

You're pretty spunky with people on the internet, aren'tcha? :rolleyes:

This is a LEGAL board. LEGALLY, both married parents have EQUAL rights to the child.

Neither has "superior" rights. If the other parent wants to take the child and you don't, I guess it's a Big Marital Standoff.

The cops won't care till someone commits a crime.

I suggest you pick your battles.
Assuming which parent I am does not help; I didn't ask for an opinion on whether my child should go, I asked if my spouse called the police, what would happen. My spouse was and is emotionally abused by these family members, my child needs to not be around it right now, I can tell that my child is being affected by everything that is going on, and I really feel that it is in the child's best interest to not go if I am not there. I am with the child far more than my spouse, I do most of the child care. This does not make my spouse any less of a parent, it is just the way things work around here, and I really don't feel comfortable being away from my child (who has not yet been separated from me) while my child is around people who put their wants above the needs of a child. I think that indicates that I need to supervise that type of visit, or no visit at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">