• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a Marriage Nullify a NCO??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codon blue

What is the name of your state? Washington
My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years. Last year there was an altercation where the police came and they issued a no contact order for two years after he took a plea bargain for 2nd degree assault against me. Anyway, we have continued to see each other and recently he was arrested and charged with breaking this order. We are wondering what would happen if we ran off and got married. Could the courts still enforce this no contact order??

bucs1055

codon blue said:
My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years. Last year there was an altercation where the police came and they issued a no contact order for two years after he took a plea bargain for 2nd degree assault against me. Anyway, we have continued to see each other and recently he was arrested and charged with breaking this order. We are wondering what would happen if we ran off and got married. Could the courts still enforce this no contact order??
Are you serious?

I think this needs the attention of IAAL:D

AHA

codon blue said:
Why do you want to marry someone that abuses you? Don't call the police next time, if you are just going to turn around and ignore what he is.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
codon blue said:
Actually yes they could. You are going to marry someone who assaults you? You need help. Major help. He is not allowed ANY contact with you. You getting married is contact. I am sure we will read your obituary soon after he beats you to death, lights you on fire, shoots, stabs, or runs you down with his car.

AHA

Ohiogal said:
Actually yes they could. You are going to marry someone who assaults you? You need help. Major help. He is not allowed ANY contact with you. You getting married is contact. I am sure we will read your obituary soon after he beats you to death, lights you on fire, shoots, stabs, or runs you down with his car.
Maybe a bit extreme, but she will be back to ask for advice on how she can leave him after having had a bunch of kids and no job/income for several years, and at that time claim abuse as a reason. The pattern never fails.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And then tell us you weren't aiming for cordon bleu with your handle.

Last edited:

codon blue

How Presumptuous and Condescending

In response to Ohiogal's comments: First of all I should say that I need to make a correction to my posted question. My boyfriend plead guilty to 4th degree assault, not 2nd degree as I had typed by mistake. Perhaps that would have made a difference in the responses I received from everyone. But just to set the record straight let me assure you that you will not be reading my obituary any time soon. Things must be pretty dull in Ohio to turn you into just a drama queen.

To AHA's critical comments I would like to assure you that your "pattern has failed". Since I am 43 years old and the mother of only one daughter who is 18 years old. I will not be having any more children, period. I am a self-sufficient, hard-working, intelligent woman who probably has more common sense in my little finger than you have in your entire body. By the way, what does AHA stand for: "Always Harshly Absurd"??

Finally, to stealth2, I have to hope that you have some stealth since you are apparently lacking in intellect. Given the question you asked me about my username being misspelled. Even though I do pride myself at being a gourmet cook, what I am referring to is the process of protein translation in the genetic code and the 64 "codons" that specify the 20 different amino acids necessary for initiation and termination of this process.

Sadly, I misstook this website for one that offered legal advice, not the childish "blogging" I received instead. I will not be so foolish as to waste my time in the future. . .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
codon blue said:
Finally, to stealth2, I have to hope that you have some stealth since you are apparently lacking in intellect. Given the question you asked me about my username being misspelled. Even though I do pride myself at being a gourmet cook, what I am referring to is the process of protein translation in the genetic code and the 64 "codons" that specify the 20 different amino acids necessary for initiation and termination of this process.
Cooll - I learned something new today! Thanks. Still think you're a fool, though.

CdwJava

Legal answer: Marriage does NOT nullify a court order.

In fact, the paperwork for the marriage will be great proof of the violation of the court order.

Only a judge can remove the order. Marriage does not do it.

- Carl

AHA

codon blue said:
To AHA's critical comments I would like to assure you that your "pattern has failed". Since I am 43 years old and the mother of only one daughter who is 18 years old. I will not be having any more children, period. I am a self-sufficient, hard-working, intelligent woman who probably has more common sense in my little finger than you have in your entire body. By the way, what does AHA stand for: "Always Harshly Absurd"??
My username is none of your business, and if that's all you have, then that speaks volumes of your "intelligence".

You are 43 YEARS old and claim to have more common sense than me! YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH AN ABUSER, surely you know what that makes you????????
I am younger and less "experienced" than you, but at least I'm no fool that will put up with abuse in order to keep a man. I'm woman enough to have a real man that treats me like a queen.

Last edited:
AHA said:
My username is none of your business, and if that's all you have, then that speaks volumes of your "intelligence".

You are 43 YEARS old and claim to have more common sense than me! YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH AN ABUSER, surely you know what that makes you????????
I am younger and less "experienced" than you, but at least I'm no fool that will put up with abuse in order to keep a man. I'm woman enough to have a real man that treats me like a queen.
I don't blame you for lashing back, but feel I must note that co-dependance or mental illness are not necessarily the same as being unintelligent.

Many abused children are highly intelligent and become co-dependant later in life due to the abuse suffered earlier.

This OP is pitiable. :( Hopefully she will see someday that the pattern of abuse will not end, and it is before it is too late.

AHA

Ithildriel said:
I don't blame you for lashing back, but feel I must note that co-dependance or mental illness are not necessarily the same as being unintelligent.

Many abused children are highly intelligent and become co-dependant later in life due to the abuse suffered earlier.

This OP is pitiable. :( Hopefully she will see someday that the pattern of abuse will not end, and it is before it is too late.
Where does OP say that she was abused as a child? I don't see her as mentally ill, I see her as totally stupid and unintelligent.

ceara19

codon blue said:
In response to Ohiogal's comments: First of all I should say that I need to make a correction to my posted question. My boyfriend plead guilty to 4th degree assault, not 2nd degree as I had typed by mistake. Perhaps that would have made a difference in the responses I received from everyone. But just to set the record straight let me assure you that you will not be reading my obituary any time soon. Things must be pretty dull in Ohio to turn you into just a drama queen.
All you need to do is read through published police reports for any given day across the country. In cities large and small, women die from abused inflicted by someone they "love" and in the majority of cases, the woman that are murdered have at some point told police, judges, family, friend or neighbors that the abuse "isn't as bad as people are making it out to be" and that he would NEVER "get to the point of REALLY hurting me". Yet, those women are still DEAD, despite what they believed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">