• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic abuse, molestation allegations, extortion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Notjustdrums

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

So here's the story (i know it's long, but it does get interesting, here goes):

Mr. A (23 yrs old) has known Ms. B (22) for 4.5 years (most of the time spent as a couple), and has known her sisters, ages 11, 13, 16, (here on known as C11, C13, C16, respectively) for 4 yrs. Mr. A has been very close to the girls, acting as a big brother, sometimes even pseudo-father-figure, over the years. They had gotten comfortable enough w/ him for hugs, kisses, etc. in a public display of love and affection to girls he views as little sisters.
During vacations and during a particularly rough time for the family, where they all shared a single room to sleep in, Mr. A was trusted enough by the mother of the girls as a member of the family to even sleep and share a floor w/ the girls.

Ms. B ended the romantic aspect of her relationship with Mr. A, and has always remained bitter, and often shows it through verbal and physical abuse. (Pipes, brooms, punches to the face, kicks to the body, etc.). Mr. A has never pressed charges. He loves the Ms. B, swallowed the abuse, and forgot about it.

Mr. A and Ms. B did, however, agreed to continue a relationship in a professional sense, so as to launch a music career for C16 (a very talented singer). It wasnt until a few months into the venture where the girls C13 and C16 came out to Ms. B and told them about uncomfortable events over the years involving Mr. A.

They are listed as follows (the allegations only involve Mr. A, C13, and C16):

1. Mr. A and C13 napped together in the living room in the middle of the day, during which she felt he had attempted to reach into C13's pants (she was 12yrs old at the time). There is no evidence to prove this as ever even happening.

2. Mr. A touched C16's thigh in what she felt was an inappropriate manner. Mr. A doesn't deny this event, and claims that it was not associated w/ any inappropriate intentions.

3. Mr. A sent an SMS text to C16, hesitating to send it at first, about a dream he had where he had sex w/ C16. He claims to have stated something like "...I don't want to tell you what my dream was about, because you're going to think it as wishful thinking." Although there is no evidence involving any of the msgs' actual content at all, C16 claims he simply stated "it is wishful thinking."

4. Mr. A had made comments to his peers and to the girls themselves like "i would date you if you were older". Mr. A's defense: He had never made the statement w/o ensuring that "...if you were older" was added. He considers it a compliment to the girls, saying that they have attractive qualities as young girls. He has made the same compliment to even men and older women. (Mr. A is not a homosexual).

5. Mr. A and C16 often hold hands when walking, and there was one case where C16 felt that he was making sexual gestures with his fingers. Mr. A claims that it was just him fiddling his fingers playfully.

Facts:
- Mr. A has never touched any of the girls' buttocks, breasts, vaginas, panties, or bras.
- Mr. A has never told them or anybody that he would like/want to touch them or do anything sexual
- Mr. A has never seen or made any contact with any private parts
- The girls have never seen or touched or made any contact with Mr. A's penis or buttocks in any way.
- Mr. A has never made any verbal or non-verbal invitations to anything sexual-related.
- Mr. A is a music education graduate, and a soon-to-be hired music teacher at a middle school (currently in the paperwork phase before starting his job).

Ms. B's bitterness about the whole matter caused her to go to the police and press charges.
After days of arguments and apologies, Ms. B decided to drop the charges 2 days after filing.
She had one condition.
Mr. A would need to pay her $1300/month. She said that as soon as he missed a payment, she would press charges again.

Is this extortion?
What is the worst-case scenario for Mr. A's case?
Whats up w/ the domestic abuse Mr. A suffered?
Whats up w/ the molestation case in general?

Isis1

Or a new girlfriend trying to justify (or sort out) something she was told about the situation.... I'm INNOCENT !! Really! :rolleyes:
*shudder*....ugh. that is so gross.:confused:

actually, speaking of homework assignments....i got into a debate with my professor on tuesday...we were discussing what was legal in regards to collecting for a reward for a a lost child. he made a claim that a stranger sees a poster, $5k reward. finds the child, goes to the house where the parents live, says, "i have your child in the back of my van, give me my money". professor asks, "is he entitled to the money". well, me being me, i said, "NO!" he looks at me, wants to know why. i said, "because he needs to return the child to the police department, we don't know if he was the kidnapper himself. he's holding the child hostage in the van? but he wants money, BEFORE he returned the child??!"

well, it was completely off base what he was trying to make a point about coontract law, so i completely ruined his story. :O

Last edited:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Every adult reading this thread who is not a creepy pedophile, raise your hand.

Do you know what you all have in common? You don't tell 16 year old girls via text messages that you're having sex dreams about them, and if there could ever be an appropriate reason for you to do so, you certainly would not use the words "wishful thinking".

Isis1

Every adult reading this thread who is not a creepy pedophile, raise your hand.

Do you know what you all have in common? You don't tell 16 year old girls via text messages that you're having sex dreams about them, and if there could ever be an appropriate reason for you to do so, you certainly would not use the words "wishful thinking".

i want it on the record that i raised my hand.

CdwJava

I'll bite ...
Is this extortion?
Sounds like it.

What is the worst-case scenario for Mr. A's case?
What case is that? Wost case is that charges are pursued by the DA, the victims and witnesses are believed,and Mr.A goes to prison for a very long time earning the enmity of many rough and angry men.

Whats up w/ the domestic abuse Mr. A suffered?
Mr. A can call the police and report the abuse. If the statute of limitations has not tolled, he might be able to convince the cops to take the report and a DA to file. That's a big "maybe" if the girls do not corroborate his tale.

Whats up w/ the molestation case in general?
If she reported it to the police, they will investigate it. Ms. B does not get to report it then drop it ... it does not work that way. So, if the police took the report and bought any part of it, they will look into it regardless of what Ms.B wants. Unless the cops told Mr. A they were investigating, Ms. B is full of hooey.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">