• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic abuse, victim not cooperating w/ police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masopa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

What are the chances that someone will be convicted of Domestic Abuse if the victim refuses to cooperate, and chances are, won't testify.

My son's mother was the victim of a domestic abuse incident at the beginning of the month. Her husband was the perpetrator, and he is charged with Disorderly Conduct - Domestic Abuse (repeater) and Dissuade Victim from Reporting - Domestic Abuse (repeater). The police report reads that she would not cooperate with police after they arrived at their residence, and refused to answer questions about past abuse. He pushed her around and threatened to hit her as she held (according to her) their one month old baby (he says the baby was asleep in a crib).

I have spoken with her once after this incident and she said that it is not a big deal and she is not worried about it - they are back to playing happy family. I am taking steps to keep my son away from this guy, as he has also abused my son in the past.

From what I understand, based on the charges, he's looking at up to 2 years per charge (because of the "repeater" modifier). What are the chances that he will get any time at all if the one witness won't testify against him? I would think that since this is a repeat offense he won't just get away with just probation.

JETX

What are the chances that someone will be convicted of Domestic Abuse if the victim refuses to cooperate, and chances are, won't testify.
Of course, no one can GUESS the answer to that.... however, the victims testimony is not required.
The investigating officers will testify as to the injuries and any evidence and/or statements made at the scene.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">