• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leila555

Texas
My boyfriend of almost a year hit me and injured me. This happened in his car after a verbal argument. We were four people in the car including two of his friend sitting in the back. After he hit me, he took my phone to prevent me from giving an emergency call. I then ran out of the car because I was panicked and under the shock. He ran after me and stared begging me to come back to the car and not to alert people. He then said that he was going to take responsibility for the medical charges. He then asked him friend who was now driving the car to take us to his friend's place, (not to the hospital). I started begging them to take me to the hospital because I was seriously bleeding. They finally took me there after I promised not to denounce him. After the hospital I talked to my sister who advised me to denounce him this time because it was not the first time he hits me. So I went to the police and reported him. But I was wondering my boyfriend still risks to be arrested for domestic violence even if reported him the next day after my injury?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Texas
Does my boyfriend still risk to be arrested for domestic violence even if reported him the next day after my injury?
Yes.

Don't you want him to be punished for what he has done? Or, has he now made nice, apologized, told you it would never happen again, and PROMISED to talk to someone?

leila555

he apologized only before we went to the hospital I guess to get out of trouble. The next day, he told me it's my fault. That he didn't do it on purpose. That's one of the reasons why I decided to report him to the police.

CdwJava

Do not let him deter you. If called to court, tell the truth.

I also would recommend you speak to a domestic violence advocate and to someone in your county's victim-witness office. If you have children together, you might want to take steps immediately to protect both you and the child.

leila555

Yes.

Don't you want him to be punished for what he has done? Or, has he now made nice, apologized, told you it would never happen again, and PROMISED to talk to someone?
he apologized only before we went to the hospital I guess to get out of trouble. The next day, he told me it's my fault. That he didn't do it on purpose. That's one of the reasons why I decided to report him to the police.

single317dad

This is a common ploy of those who commit domestic violence. Don't fall for it. Report him. Follow through with the charges and testify in court of needed. If a protective order is not an automatic part of the criminal proceedings, get one and stand by it. Work closely with the prosecutor to make sure they know the whole story so that they can file and pursue the correct charges (for example, preventing the emergency call is another class A misdemeanor in itself).

Later on, any sentencing or plea agreement may include restitution. Make sure it includes not only your hospital bills, but any other losses such as lost wages from missing work.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">