• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

george_show

Hi,

10 days ago I and my wife got into an argument and then we pushed each other.
She moved temporarily to our daughter.
A cop went to this location and asked her about this matter.
The cop asked her if she want to press charges, but she refused and sign a paper.
We both we realized that we made a mistake and we reconciled but decided to stay separate for a while, to give a better chance to our relationship.
I believe that there is a warrant against me, but I haven't received no mail yet.
What is the best way to have this case dropped?
I and my wife do not want to waste money on lawyers and penalty fees.

Thanks a lot for your replies!
P.S. I live in Michigan, Oakland County. Another request: I am interested in ordinary people's personal experience in similar cases.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If you get contacted by the police or prosecutor or find out you do have charges, you need a lawyer.
Just because you've reconciled or the fact she doesn't want to press charges is immaterial. This is NOT a you-vs-her thing, it is a STATE vs YOU issue. A DV conviction, even at the misdemeanor level, is going to be far more reaching than just "penalty fees." By the way, you don't get an option to decide if you want to be punished for your crimes or not.

You also need to tell us what state if you have further questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">