• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic violence case in the bx

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clarissenoel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I want to know does my boyfriend still have to be processed/go to jail for a domestic violence case that I want to drop.

We had a fight two days ago, he grabbed my arm and left me with a bruis.My family saw that and urged me to make a report. So I did. Now the detective contact me and told me now there's a warrant out for him. I want to drop this because he works and still supports me and my son; he can lose his job. I just want to know what legal help I can get to avoid him getting arrested while I'm dropping the case

Last edited:

Proserpina

I want to know does my boyfriend still have to be processed/go to jail for a domestic violence case that I want to drop.

We had a fight two days ago, he grabbed my arm and left me with a bruis.My family saw that and urged me to make a report. So I did. Now the detective contact me and told me now there's a warrant out for him. I want to drop this because he works and still supports me and my son; he can lose his job. I just want to know what legal help I can get to avoid him getting arrested while I'm dropping the case

It's now probably out of your hands.

The DA will decide whether or not to prosecute; even if you retract your complaint they can go ahead without your testimony/cooperation.

LdiJ

No one should ever stay in an abusive situation just because they are being supported by their abuser. There are all kinds of resources out there to help single parents.

Do you want your child to grow up to believe that this is the way relationships work?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank God for your family.

A fight is no reason to grab someone like that. Maybe if you were about to fall off a subway platform... And I know how hard you have to grab someone to get finger bruising, being on the receiving end in the past. (And I was on anticoagulents at the time. And yes, he knew I was on blood thinner.)

But, VOE: if you drop it, it'll just happen again. Maybe not exactly the same way. Maybe not this week. Or this month. But soon enough.

Did he do this in front of your child? You do realize that it's child abuse to do that in front of the child?

ErinGoBragh

PM me where your location in NY is, and I will send you a list of local DV shelters that can help you with local resources. It's not up to at this point whether or not charges are brought; the DA is the one who will decide to pursue this. You need to get out now, because DV typically starts off small and gets worse. The shelters will be able to help you find legal resources, as well as get you into a situation where you and your son can be self-sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">