• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic violence and infidelity in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Genessee

This event occurred in Georgia.
I am not a party to this event.
If a person finds out that their spouse is having an affair, via email with graphic pictures and text specifically, within that discovery they push their spouse and leave the home. The police are called and the spouse is arrested for domestic violence. No other physical violence occurred that day or any other day.

The victim of the abuse tells the police that the incident occurred as response to her infidelity being discovered.

Is there any sort of precedents for this sort of situation? The spouse is not pressing charges, it is the state that is pursuing this.

The defendant is having issues with retaining an attorney because he makes too little money to afford a lawyer but to much for legal aid.

What should the defendants next steps be?

LdiJ

If a person finds out that their spouse is having an affair, via email with graphic pictures and text specifically, within that discovery they push their spouse and leave the home. The police are called and the spouse is arrested for domestic violence. No other physical violence occurred that day or any other day.

The victim of the abuse tells the police that the incident occurred as response to her infidelity being discovered.

Is there any sort of precedents for this sort of situation? The spouse is not pressing charges, it is the state that is pursuing this.

The defendant is having issues with retaining an attorney because he makes too little money to afford a lawyer but to much for legal aid.

What should the defendants next steps be?
That information would have been relevant to add to your other thread. The same posters would be responding there AND its relevant to your previous question.

mistoffolees

Then the alleged abuser needs an attorney.

Discovering that the other person is cheating on you is not legally justification for domestic violence. That's not likely to be a defense at all.

Genessee

The two issues I posted are not related

I posted in the other thread, I'll post here just fyi.

I run a support group for betrayed spouses, these cases are two completely separate cases.

Two different men were new to my group this last Saturday.

The information I posted above is all the information I know about this case.

Genessee

Another thought

Shouldn't he be able to get a public defender if he can't afford an attorney, or is that what he meant by "legal aid" he said they told him he made too much money. Are public defenders only assigned to people that have no or very little money?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And again - these men should be seeking their own advice. What you're doing is playing a legal version of "Telephone". Not good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">