• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dramatizing Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snowflake517

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hawaii

Me and my partner got in a fight, I ended up with bruises but they werent from his hands. I had him arrested days later but I dramatized the charges and they werent as bad as I made them I was just hurt and angry. He wants to become a cop or a firefighter. He pled guilty to his charges and I know you cant be a cop or a firefighter with charges like this and you also can't enlist. This was his dream and we are no longer together but he doesnt deserve his dreams taken away. Is there ANY way to get around this where he can be a sheriff, cop or firefighter? Could I serve time for lying about the charges instead of him losing his life to a simple mistake? Please help.

quincy

Hawaii

Me and my partner got in a fight, I ended up with bruises but they werent from his hands. I had him arrested days later but I dramatized the charges and they werent as bad as I made them I was just hurt and angry. He wants to become a cop or a firefighter. He pled guilty to his charges and I know you cant be a cop or a firefighter with charges like this and you also can't enlist. This was his dream and we are no longer together but he doesnt deserve his dreams taken away. Is there ANY way to get around this where he can be a sheriff, cop or firefighter? Could I serve time for lying about the charges instead of him losing his life to a simple mistake? Please help.
What a horrible thing for you to do. You can go to the police and tell them that you lied. Whether that will help your former partner or not at this point in time is a question mark.

TigerD

What a horrible thing for you to do. You can go to the police and tell them that you lied. Whether that will help your former partner or not at this point in time is a question mark.
For the OP - if you go and tell the police or prosecutor that you lied, you may face criminal charges of your own.

TD

Proserpina

Hawaii

Wow.

You really are a special sort of snowflake, aren't you?

Eekamouse

For the OP - if you go and tell the police or prosecutor that you lied, you may face criminal charges of your own.

TD
And SHOULD. The courts aren't there for you to play games with. Did you not care about his future at the time you you lying to the cops?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The problem is he already pled guilty. He may be able to get it expunged but he admitted he did it.

eerelations

The problem is he already pled guilty. He may be able to get it expunged but he admitted he did it.
Why on earth did he plead guilty if he didn't do it? You say that your injuries "weren't from his hands" - what do you mean by this? Were they caused by someone else's hands? Or by some object your BF was wielding? Your post is a bit puzzling.

justalayman

Exactly. Had he been found guilty by trial he can face a court and continue to proclaim his innocence. If you plead guilty, especially if it is part of a plea agreement and as such generally required to allocute before the court, well, to withdraw the plea would mean not only would the op be admitting to lying, so would the defendant.

Makes it a tough row to hoe.

Snowflake517

Wow some of you on here are really judgemental and rude arent you.
Some of you were helpful thankyou.

He caused bruises on my face, two black eyes, bruises on my body as well as a huge gash on my body as well. Im just saying he didnt hit me with his hands and it was a one time offense. Have you ever considered I didnt want to disclose everything on here because this has only happened once between us and he is remorseful, we have seperated. He is of no further threat to me and I do not wish to ruin his life because he and I both made a mistake once? Im saying Im willing to tell the police none of it was true since it appears he had learned his lesson and I dont think he should suffer the rest of his life for making a dire mistake.

Eekamouse

He caused bruises on my face, two black eyes, bruises on my body as well as a huge gash on my body as well. Im just saying he didnt hit me with his hands and it was a one time offense. Have you ever considered I didnt want to disclose everything on here because this has only happened once between us and he is remorseful, we have seperated. He is of no further threat to me and I do not wish to ruin his life because he and I both made a mistake once? Im saying Im willing to tell the police none of it was true since it appears he had learned his lesson and I dont think he should suffer the rest of his life for making a dire mistake.
No, you'd rather subject society to a a guy hoping to become a cop who beats women. So you lie and say none of what happened happened. He is able to go on to be a cop. Years from now, you'll read about him being thrown off the police force for police brutality or the like. Don't try to go back now and change your story. He made the bed. Let him sleep in it.

Proserpina

He caused bruises on my face, two black eyes, bruises on my body as well as a huge gash on my body as well.
Im just saying he didnt hit me with his hands and it was a one time offense. Have you ever considered I didnt want to disclose everything on here because this has only happened once between us and he is remorseful, we have seperated. He is of no further threat to me and I do not wish to ruin his life because he and I both made a mistake once? Im saying Im willing to tell the police none of it was true since it appears he had learned his lesson and I dont think he should suffer the rest of his life for making a dire mistake.
Then what on earth DID he hit you with?!

He caused those injuries and you want to make his crime go away somehow? What am I missing here?

justalayman

Did he plead guilty or was he found guilty at trial?

If the first, he would now have to claim he lied when he plead guilty. He probably won't be believed since he will be proving himself a liar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">