• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping a protective order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
Kay211, the "preview post" feature malfunctions on this site. When used prior to submitting a post, it has the nasty habit of deleting all that was written. I expect that is what happened to the content in your post.

Because we will need some information about the protective order, you can add your question or concern to your original post by using the "edit" button or you can " reply to thread" and add your question that way.

Thanks.

qwaspolk69

If you want a protection order dropped you generally have to go through victim witness or ask the judge to drop it. I have had two dropped in two different states. One I had to go talk to victim witness so they could make sure I was not coerced or threatened to do it and then they went to the judge. The other one was during my divorce. Family Advocacy convinced me to get a temporary order but he honestly never got served with it and by the first hearing I asked my lawyer to ask the judge to drop it (same judge who had signed it) and he did.

The judge may not dismiss it though. It all depends on the judge. I feel as if that might answer what was intended to be asked.

http://www.iowalegalaid.org/files/A3ED30CF-AFFE-7431-9310-0D521E4312AF/attachments/4F5F4234-5C80-4B43-8E9F-576F6B6C58F6/domestic-abuse-and-the-law-oct-2011.pdf

quincy

If you want a protection order dropped you generally have to go through victim witness or ask the judge to drop it. I have had two dropped in two different states. One I had to go talk to victim witness so they could make sure I was not coerced or threatened to do it and then they went to the judge. The other one was during my divorce. Family Advocacy convinced me to get a temporary order but he honestly never got served with it and by the first hearing I asked my lawyer to ask the judge to drop it (same judge who had signed it) and he did.

The judge may not dismiss it though. It all depends on the judge. I feel as if that might answer what was intended to be asked.

http://www.iowalegalaid.org/files/A3ED30CF-AFFE-7431-9310-0D521E4312AF/attachments/4F5F4234-5C80-4B43-8E9F-576F6B6C58F6/domestic-abuse-and-the-law-oct-2011.pdf
qwaspolk, please look at the posting dates of threads before responding.

Not only was this thread started on June 30, Kay211 has not returned to the forum since that date to add the information necessary to provide advice.

This forum prefers to keep old threads in the archives unless revived by the original poster.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">