• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug testing during pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smc1234

I gave birth in NY. While I was in labor I was drug tested and tested positive for marijuana. The hospital then also drug tested my baby. They drug tested me and my baby without telling me or my husband what they were doing. I now have an open child protective services case. This is really stressing me out. After I was released from the hospital, I asked my doctor why I was drug tested. She told me that I was drug tested because of how I reacted to the medication they gave m e when I went into labor. Does anyone know if this is illegal or a violation of my rights? Any information regarding this issue is appreciated. Thanks

ErinGoBragh

I gave birth in NY. While I was in labor I was drug tested and tested positive for marijuana. The hospital then also drug tested my baby. They drug tested me and my baby without telling me or my husband what they were doing. I now have an open child protective services case. This is really stressing me out. After I was released from the hospital, I asked my doctor why I was drug tested. She told me that I was drug tested because of how I reacted to the medication they gave m e when I went into labor. Does anyone know if this is illegal or a violation of my rights? Any information regarding this issue is appreciated. Thanks
If the doctor has reason to suspect you endangered your unborn child by ingesting illegal drugs, he had a legal RESPONSIBILITY to the proper authorities and report you.

You should not have smoked pot while you were pregnant and endangered your child. You have no one to blame this stress on, and the very real possibility that you will lose your child, but yourself.

You Are Guilty

As a former ACS attorney, I must have prosecuted a hundred of these cases. Never lost one. You can expect to have CPS oversight over you for (at least) the next 12 months, have to attend drug classes, parenting classes and whatever else they can dream up. You can also bet the farm that if you should get pregnant again, you are going to be drug tested up the wazoo, so, please do your baby a favor and lay off the weed.

Antigone*

You could have hurt your baby ~ YOU are the one person who can protect the child at this point in their life and YOU failed the baby.

I'm glad you have CPS breathing down your neck ~ at least this way your infant has a chance.

Selfish and arrogant...worried about YOUR rights... this really makes me sad:mad:

cyjeff

Wait a darn minute.

I thought pot wasn't addictive? Otherwise, I would have thought it would have been EASY to give up while pregnant.

Tell me that, at least, you ate it in brownies rather than smoking it.

You know all those terrible women that smoke while pregnant... the pictures of the fetus holding a lit cigarette?

Yours was holding a roach.

Nice.

Ny tests all new mothers, and then the babies if the test comes up dirty on the mother.
so, you should have known that. and you shouldnt have smoked the pot while pregnant.

smc1234

I was actually told by a doctor in my ob's office to smoke a little pot because I had morning sickness the entire 9 months. In the eighth month, I was violently throwing up for one straight week and couldn't eat or keep anything down. I tried the ginger and lemon and nausea pops and nothing worked. That was when my doctor suggested the pot. I did not smoke pot regularly before I was pregnant, and wouldn't have even thought about it if my doctor had not suggested it. She assured me that it would do no harm to the baby, and when the baby was tested after birth there was no pot in her system. This is why I am so angry, because it was my doctor who told me to in the first place. I did not bring it up to her and ask if it was ok, she suggested it. And I didn't just take her word that the baby would be ok. I asked other ob's not affiliated with my doctor before I did it.

Antigone*

I was actually told by a doctor in my ob's office to smoke a little pot because I had morning sickness the entire 9 months. In the eighth month, I was violently throwing up for one straight week and couldn't eat or keep anything down. I tried the ginger and lemon and nausea pops and nothing worked. That was when my doctor suggested the pot. I did not smoke pot regularly before I was pregnant, and wouldn't have even thought about it if my doctor had not suggested it. She assured me that it would do no harm to the baby, and when the baby was tested after birth there was no pot in her system. This is why I am so angry, because it was my doctor who told me to in the first place. I did not bring it up to her and ask if it was ok, she suggested it. And I didn't just take her word that the baby would be ok. I asked other ob's not affiliated with my doctor before I did it.
whooooosssshhhh...what the heck was that flying passed my window:confused::confused:

Oh my God, OP that was your nose:cool:

cyjeff

whooooosssshhhh...what the heck was that flying passed my window:confused::confused:

Oh my God, OP that was your nose:cool:
FWEEEET... BS FLAG ON THE PLAY!!!

A doctor that prescribes SMOKING POT to a pregnant woman.

Really?

That is the defense you are going to use?

Heck, my wife's OB/GYN didn't want her eating refined sugar.

Yours told you not only to light up but to light up with a DRUG... and an illegal drug that neither you nor she could know the origin, potency or danger of?

Really?

Try another excuse, that one won't hold up in court... especially when they make your doctor testify.

cyjeff

Just so we are clear... I went ahead and Googled "Pot while pregnant"...

Only about 15 bazillion hits all came up... strange... still looking for one that says it is a great way to beat morning sickness...

Mostly, what I find reads like this...

Warning on Danger of Smoking Marijuana While Pregnant
May 30, 2007

Smoking marijuana during pregnancy raises the risk of fetal brain damage, new research suggests.

Bloomberg News reported May 25 that researcher Ken Mackie of the University of Indiana led a team that studied the effects of marijuana on neurons in mouse brains. They found that the drug helps determine how brain cells make connections -- a fact that could have some bearing on fetal brain development.

Previous studies have shown that babies born to marijuana-smoking mothers experience some cognitive impairment. "This is gross speculation, but if the synaptic connections are a little off, then the higher-level behavior might be a little off," said Mackie.

Endocannabinoids are part of the brain system acted upon by marijuana; when researchers blocked the chemicals in gestating mice, it seemed to increase the formation of neural connections. "The obvious implication is that prenatal exposure to marijuana can change patterns of connectivity in the developing brain," said Anatol Kreitzer, an assistant professor at the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease at the University of California at San Francisco.

The research was published in the May 25, 2007 issue of the journal Science.

Low birth rate, a baby going through withdrawl (the quivers upon birth), lowered attentions spans, even some types of ADHD have been assigned to pot while pregnant.

No doctor in their right mind would say this.

Gracie3787

Illegal? NOPE.

Violation of your rights? NOPE.

You sound just like my ex daughter-in-law. I'll tell you the same thing I told her:

You are now a mother, you have a legal and moral responsibilty to your child. You need to either- grow up, or place your child for adoption so that people who care about children can raise the child.

Gail in Georgia

If your physician would have thought that the active ingredient in marijuana would help your severe nausea, she would have prescribed Marinol (Dronabinol) which has been used to treat severe nausea and vomiting in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and as an appetite stimulant in AIDS patients.

If so, and you tested positive for THC after delivering, you would have had a prescription to back up this finding.

Gail

Just Blue

Did you explain this to CPS? Did the Doctor back you up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">